Author Topic: Hello from Houston  (Read 856 times)

• Offline jbolin   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jbolin

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 z900
    • Town / City: Houston
    Hello from Houston
    on: Aug 15, 2021, 09.23 pm
    Aug 15, 2021, 09.23 pm
    Just wanted to stop in an introduce myself. This is the first time to own my own street bike but I did grow up riding and have a few years experience. As a teenager my Dad had a Suzuki 80cc and a Kawa 125cc dirt bikes that I pretty much took out every day hitting every ramp I could on the bayou's, wheelies, stoppies (which we actually called Endo's then so I dunno when that changed).

Then in my mid 20s my brother left his 2007 zx6rr for a couple years in the garage while he went off to college...  :018:  :047: Needless to say, I made sure to keep the battery charged till he got back.

In march of this year I picked up my first personal 2020 z900!!! I already have 2500 miles on it and having a lot of fun. I have done a few minor mods for comfort and style - replaced clutch and break levers, added Puig touring shield, plate eliminator, and an LED kit for safety + funzies.

I am a little older now but still do my best to have fun on it (in the safest manor possible away from others so I am the only one that goes down if that happens). I noticed there are some stunt cages available for the bike so that may be happening in the near future :) I do enjoy playing at low speeds in full gear!

Last Edit: Aug 15, 2021, 09.37 pm by jbolin

• Offline Led Zed 70   us

• Z900 Master  ‐    906

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
    • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
    • Town / City: Round Rock
    Re: Hello from Houston
    Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2021, 01.47 pm
    Aug 16, 2021, 01.47 pm
    Welcome! Also remember them as endo’s!!

• Offline KAWKZ   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 Member  ‐    30

Offline KAWKZ

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 Member
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Montgomery
    Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2021, 10.10 pm
    Aug 16, 2021, 10.10 pm
    Big Texas welcome!

• Offline sapt   us

• Z900 Junior Member  ‐    4

Offline sapt

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Bike: 2018 Z900
    • Town / City: FRISCO
    Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2022, 04.24 am
    Jul 02, 2022, 04.24 am
    Good day,
    I would like to know how you installed that LED light on the bike, Mine is red and I want it to look like yours, but red.

Very nice!!

• Offline jbolin   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jbolin

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2022, 06.06 am
    Jul 02, 2022, 06.06 am
    Thanks Sapt.

The kit I purchased was on Amazon and is no longer there but this kit I linked here is basically the same thing. Mine was a 2 wire so you connect it to the positive and negative on the battery under the rider seat. It comes with a 1 sheet installation guide. I wish I had purchased the 3 wire type like this one I linked in case I wanted to connect it to the break wire which would light up all the LED strips when you hit your breaks. You don't have to connect the 3rd wire to the break wire if you don't want though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Atmosphere-Multi-Color-Flexible-Controller/dp/B07KKGN2XJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1OPKATNRE52P7&keywords=ambother+8pc+LED+light+kit&qid=1656736559&sprefix=ambother+8pc+led+light+kit%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-2

The LED strips came with 3m sticky tape on them and I tried to use what it came with but it was falling off on a few of the strips. A few worked fine, but I had to pull the 3m off and reapply new 3m on a few of the LED strips. I think the kit I got had sat in a warehouse to long. So you can try what it comes with but if it doesn't work out you can order extra and replace:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its pretty simple to install. The key is to make sure the surface is as CLEAN as you can get it before applying the LEDs. I washed the bike then used rubbing alcohol in the areas where I put the strips, then wiped the area to dry it then applied the led strips. Just locate where you want the LED strips and just stick them on. Run all your cables back under the rider seat. Install the provided main power box with the double side sticky that's provided under your rider seat and connect all your cables to the main power box. You can't get this wrong as the cables only fit one way and all the connectors are the same. Use UV resistant black zip ties to make sure the cables are snug/firm against the trellis and do not sag anywhere and to also make sure they wont get caught in anything mechanical like the shock spring as that would destroy the cabling.

Check out the pics on Amazon from the link. You can swap to any color available in the kit using the remote. Its sort of fun cause you can do Red for heart health day or Pink for breast cancer day, etc :) Real men wear pink :) I ride green 95% of the time. Check your local laws as well. Where I live, I should not use the blue or red as it is risking some trouble because it matches emergency responder colors here. Like a police car uses red/blue/white flashing lights to pull someone over so if I mimic those colors while riding it could be a ticket.

• Offline sapt   us

• Z900 Junior Member  ‐    4

Offline sapt

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Bike: 2018 Z900
    • Town / City: FRISCO
    Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2022, 04.47 pm
    Jul 02, 2022, 04.47 pm
    Thank you so much for your details on what you did, I guess since I only want the red strips I could just hook them up to one of the running light like the Licence plate one, well at least that is what I belie will be my main source of electricity.

Do you have any fog lights or a fog light bar? to have them running all the time, because we need to be seen all the time, day and night.

another thing, I just filled up my tank for the first time with 50 miles range in it, took only 2.8 galons and the new range came up to 160 miles. is this inside the average for the bike? and how much is the actual reserve gas?

• Offline jbolin   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jbolin

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2022, 06.12 pm
    Jul 02, 2022, 06.12 pm
    Take a look at that first picture of the LED kit in the amazon link I sent. You will see a black relay box in the lower right of the picture. On one side is 3 wires (positive, negative, and brake relay). The other side has 8 cables that connect to the LEDs. The remote next to that controls this relay box. You press the on/off button on the remote and the relay box sends power to the LEDs. I can turn my LEDs on whether or not the bike is running as long as the battery has power available to send. I can also change colors using the remote or flash them. This is fun when your sitting in a parking lot talking to a friend and a car pulls nearby with kids in the back... always makes em light up with a smile :) If you turn it off, the relay box stops sending power from the battery to the LEDs. Of course, if your done riding for the night and you forget to turn off your LEDs it will continue to drain your battery. I have done this and my bike still started in the morning which is a testament to how little amps LED strips pull but eventually it would drain the battery and you would need a trickle charger to get going again. Not unlike leaving your headlamp on in your car by accident. You connect the positive/negative of the relay box directly to the battery. For $30 bucks, you can avoid cutting any factory cables and I honestly recommend you do this. If/when you ever decide to sell your bike, you may want to remove this. I could remove my entire LED kit in less than 30min and it would be a factory bike without any spliced factory cables or damage to the bike.

If you do not have a relay box like this, then yes you would need to splice in to an existing light on your bike that runs all the time like the license plate light. I suppose the benefit of this is you would not have to mess with a remote each time you run the bike. I like having the ability to ride my bike during the day without the LEDs on and then if I am going through a super dark area at night I turn them on at a stop light or pull over to turn them on. I like the control.

I do not have any fog lights, light bars, or any other additional lights other than the added LED kit.

The manual to your year model motorcycle is available on Kawasaki's website for free. Just google to find it. I recommend reading through it entirely to learn your motorcycle. It will provide the info on how many gallons your tank can handle. My 2020 z900 is 4.5 gallons and I only put 93 octane in it. Depending on how hard I'm riding, I get 40 to 50 miles to the gallon average. So yes, 4 x 40 is about 160 miles. That leaves you a half a gallon or 20 miles to find a gas station but I personally would not wait that late. Just find a gas station when you have 1 or 2 bars left like you do in any other vehicle.

• Offline jbolin   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jbolin

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2022, 06.40 pm
    Jul 02, 2022, 06.40 pm