Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knock-Off Front Seat for the Z?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Knock-Off Front Seat for the Z?
on: August 18, 2021, 03:43:28 AM
Anyone know if this seat pan will fit 2017-2019 ?  (being it's so cheap, I guess it wouldn't be a big loss if it doesn't) 

I'm looking for a seat pan to send to a custom shop. I don't have the original OEM seat for my bike, and definitely not going to have the shop tear apart my Corbin.

AliExpress Z900 Front Seat

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
Re: Knock-Off Front Seat for the Z?
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:44:16 AM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
Anyone know if this seat pan will fit 2017-2019 ?  (being it's so cheap, I guess it wouldn't be a big loss if it doesn't) 

I'm looking for a seat pan to send to a custom shop. I don't have the original OEM seat for my bike, and definitely not going to have the shop tear apart my Corbin.

AliExpress Z900 Front Seat

Guessing yes but I haven't bought one.

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Petaling Jaya
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:13:49 AM
from the pix everything looks to be in place.

my best guess would be yes.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 07:44:03 AM
Just curious, but if youve already got a Corbin, why do you want a custom seat?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 03:58:19 PM
Mainly for more padding, but still remaining firm.

When I wear bicycle shorts (padded butt/crotch), the Corbin is comfy for a good 2 hours without getting off. Without the shorts, only about an hour or so.

The Corbin seat is wide and has that great low scooped butt area and rises up towards the tank.

I think it is ergonomically correct for the buttocks area and provides a great seating position on the Z, but it is very firm (as in hard).

Custom seat won't be cheap, but after test riding other bikes the last two summers (walked away shaking my head)... I've decided to keep the Z for long term.

Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:59:39 PM by RedRooster

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:20:37 PM
How long have you had the Corbin? Ive read that they take a while to bed in before theyre really comfortable.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 04:23:35 PM
I've ridden it for 4500 miles now. And it was probably on the bike with previous owner for 2000 miles.

The Corbin I had my SV650 was the same, but was rather slippery because it was smooth leather.
Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:25:17 PM by RedRooster

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 04:27:30 PM
Interesting to hear a not so positive review of it. Most people rave about them but you’re the second person I've heard say similar.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 04:55:44 PM
Yeah, they are shaped correctly.... but are very firm. Corbin seems to double down on the "ergonomic" part, which is okay because for the most part that is why OEM seats are so atrocious.

I'm not dumping on Corbin, it is an excellent seat no doubt. But when you have a little extra money and not on a strict budget... I think seat comfort can be even better by working with a custom shop.

Because I like the Corbin shape (and width), I may consider having the Corbin pan redone by custom shop. Not sure if the OEM pan will give me that "Corbin feel". I will have to confer with them before making a decision.

Winter and hunting season will be here in a few months... so the "turn around time" will be a no brainer when bike is in storage. Only problem with that is having to wait until spring to give it a ride.  :087:

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 02:48:55 AM
Well, I snagged a barely used OEM seat for 90 bucks. But it's from a 2021 model. When it arrives next week I will know if it is the tall seat or the low seat.

Weird thing... seems like all the seats have P/N 53066-0581 stamped on them. And then there's the bar code sticker that has different numbers 53066-0655 or 0656 or 0657.   :138:

Lots of conflicting info about the change from 2017-2019 to 2020-2021 models re: seats. Some say that the 2020-2021 EU models came with tall seat and low seat was accessory, but that the US models came with low seat and tall seat was accessory.

The seller has a 2021 US model and said that he sold this seat because he purchased a Tall seat for the bike. I dunno... will find out when I open the box.  :068: