Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knock-Off Front Seat for the Z?  (Read 2136 times)

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Re: Knock-Off Front Seat for the Z?
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 07:09:24 AM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
Some say that the 2020-2021 EU models came with tall seat and low seat was accessory, but that the US models came with low seat and tall seat was accessory.

That's true, my 2020 (EU) have tall seat.
2021 US seat you bought used will be low for sure.
Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:12:35 AM by 3alfa3

Offline lampard8

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 2020
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 11:46:46 PM
I got an Aliexpress knock-off rear seat, the "leather" was awful but my local upholstery shop did a good job with it!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 12:35:51 AM
The seat arrived yesterday and its definitely the low seat. Installs and fits perfectly on the 2018 Z.

Two rides on this seat, about an hour yesterday and another hour today. I wont be giving this seat any more time, except for packing it up and sending to LAAMS Custom Seats.

For me, it feels like riding on a thin-padded 2x6 board. The padding is anemic at best. The back of the seat is a bit too narrow and not much of a scooped-out area. And the front doesnt rise up enough for my liking. Seems like this seat was designed for a small-framed person weighing-in at 125-150 pounds. Im medium-frame, 6 feet, and 190 pounds. I can't even imagine how this seat feels for a big guy.

Corbin seat weighs 3.8 pounds, this OEM seat weighs 2.2 pounds. Corbin is riveted, OEM is stapled.

It was interesting to test ride this OEM seat. It confirmed that the Corbin provides a much more comfortable ride for me, even though it is a bit firm.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 08:12:30 AM
I’m 6’ 6” and 250 lbs. When I bought the bike, I had a 5 hour ride to get home. That OEM seat is a torture device!
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 04:48:27 PM
I've had a Corbin on my ZRX for 17 years now and over 65K miles- it's still hard but way better than the OEM seat.
640 miles in a day headed to Tennessee, knees gave up before the backside did.

The one on the Z is just a bit softer but still firm, that's the supporting materials it's made of so your not sitting down in it like an old couch cushion.
Had mine made like a saddle, dished out in the back and flat across the top- my 300# body doesn't slide forward anymore + no tailbone pain, ride all day.
Corbin seats aren't for everyone, why they're made "custom" and cost a chunk. 
 :821:  :305:

"The ride is the reason"

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 05:10:12 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
Had mine made like a saddle, dished out in the back

Yep, a dished out/scooped out pocket for the butt cheeks/tail bone.... that is the pathway to comfort.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 10:39:49 PM
Seth Laam is my seat guru. He's made seats for me and several of my friends. He understands 200 pound rider requirements. Wide butt cradle and upcurved horn. Add more padding everywhere. My current seat he used 4 layers of 1" foam of varying density. Excellent design and craftsmanship. He's not the cheapest, but maybe the best of all.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 10:57:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Its about speed [+]
Seth Laam is my seat guru. He's made seats for me and several of my friends. He understands 200 pound rider requirements. Wide butt cradle and upcurved horn. Add more padding everywhere. My current seat he used 4 layers of 1" foam of varying density. Excellent design and craftsmanship. He's not the cheapest, but maybe the best of all.

Thanks for jumping in here. I just made first contact today with his on-line order form.

I was wondering if he had done a seat for the Z900, good to hear that he has. Would be great to see a photo of your seat. I'm definitely sending this OEM seat to him.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 05:04:52 PM
My z900 seat isn't flashy, it's all black to match my bike. It's what you don't see that makes it so goood.

You're in good hands with Seth, I've known him for years. His teacher made half dozen seats for me as well. His shop is a one man self-employed operation. This time of year is the slowest delivery time. January is real quick.

Just tell him what you want and what you are in size and age. He's familiar with sport bike fixes.

I'm fortunate because I roll-up to his shop and listen to him tell me what I need. Having 2 seat pans is a good thing because you'll want to ride something while he works thru the season.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 07:09:18 PM
Nothing flashy for me either... all black.

Thanks for sharing additional information and your experience with Seth, much appreciated.

What's your preference.... Leather or Vinyl for the seat top? Based on his photo gallery, seems like there is a LOT of vinyl work.

I had a leather Corbin on my SV650... smooth, flat and real slippery.