Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shorty exhaust options  (Read 3065 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online hazy

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 76
  • Town / City: CO
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 04:04:51 PM
I have an Austin Racing setup.  Stock headers - can run with or without cats. I've tried both and without a tune @ the altitudes I ride, it def feels a bit too lean for my liking, so I run WITH cats now, and it seems to do MUCH better.  I could probably send it off for a tune, but don't feel the need - bike seems perfect as-is

Sounds great, but WITHOUT cats, this mfer is LOUD AS HELL, and with cats, it's def still loud, but not quite as much. 


Online Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2617
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
  • Country: england
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 04:52:14 PM
*Originally Posted by hazy [+]
I have an Austin Racing setup.  Stock headers - can run with or without cats. I've tried both and without a tune @ the altitudes I ride, it def feels a bit too lean for my liking, so I run WITH cats now, and it seems to do MUCH better.  I could probably send it off for a tune, but don't feel the need - bike seems perfect as-is

Sounds great, but WITHOUT cats, this mfer is LOUD AS HELL, and with cats, it's def still loud, but not quite as much. 

Good feedback. I was always a little sceptical that the cats make that much difference to noise reduction but as you have tested it both ways I'm happy to take your word for it.  :028:
The A/R pipe looks amazing but even with both cats in place I expect it's far too loud for me (and our local constabulary).  :169:
Freeing up the flow to release more power without excessive noise is a difficult task.  :034:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online hazy

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 76
  • Town / City: CO
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 05:20:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Good feedback. I was always a little sceptical that the cats make that much difference to noise reduction but as you have tested it both ways I'm happy to take your word for it.  :028:
The A/R pipe looks amazing but even with both cats in place I expect it's far too loud for me (and our local constabulary).  :169:
Freeing up the flow to release more power without excessive noise is a difficult task.  :034:

Yeah, the cats definitely make some difference in sound.  I would say they very slightly reduce the overall DBs that it's pumping out, but there's definitely some reduction.  More than anything they change the tone to a less raspy/tinny sound.  It's now a slightly deeper/beefier tone, if that makes any sense.  Idle is definitely quieter, but when you get on it hard it still wails. 

I ride with earplugs in, and definitely noticed a difference, but depending on how your noise limit rules are locally, there's a strong chance that this wouldn't pass muster.  I'm even running the mfg DB killer between the link pipe and the muffler.  I can't imagine how loud it would be if it was just a straight shot thru - would prob sound like a motogp bike, and dispatch my already crappy hearing from day 1 hahaha

Also, a slight sidebar....the general consensus with the 17-19 models is that no tune is needed, even w headers and straight thru mufflers.  Mine is a '20, and living at +5,000ft altitude, and riding in the mountains anywhere from 7,000-8500ft, I feel the cats are necessary to keep the tune in check.  Perhaps it would be different at lower altitudes, but it definitely feels much better at the higher altitudes with the cats in, allowing the computer to adjust.  Without the cats, it would definitely "seem" lean sometimes, so I gambled just to experiment and threw on a header w the cats still installed and boom - MUCH MUCH better across the board.  So in my opinion, which is not backed by any data, just "feel", if you got a 20+ and toss on an exhaust - pay attention to the change in feel.  Depending on location, the tune might be able to adjust enough for the increased flow, but it may also not.  This could also be me taking the overly-cautious approach.  Given that this is probably the last bike I'll buy for a very long time, I'm more keen on taking the conservative route.  Yes, a tune could definitely adjust for things, but frankly I just don't feel like going that route
Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:21:10 PM by hazy

Offline jbolin

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 26
  • Bike: 2020 z900
  • Town / City: Houston
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 06:47:53 PM
Thank you Hazy. Thats a beautiful bike. I like your taste for sure.

After looking at the IXIL as well, I am definitely leaning towards the CS Racing for looks and decibels. I typically ride at night and dont want to be waking up the neighbors (or their kids).

Online 3alfa3

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 419
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
  • Country: hr
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 09:10:48 PM
*Originally Posted by hazy [+]
Mine is a '20, and living at +5,000ft altitude, and riding in the mountains anywhere from 7,000-8500ft, I feel the cats are necessary to keep the tune in check.  Perhaps it would be different at lower altitudes

At lower altitudes it would be even leaner (more oxygen in the air)

Offline Its about speed

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:38 PM
"At lower altitudes it would be even leaner (more oxygen in the air)"

True on old fashioned carburetor engines. False on computerized fuel injection.

The O2 sensor is your friend.

Offline akaSUPERMAN

  • Z900 Junior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Bike: '19 Z900
  • Town / City: Oakley
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 04:21:15 AM
Hey all, I'm new to the Z900 (just came up from the Vulcan 650) and I'm looking at exhausts. Based on looking at this forum, listening to about 50 different YouTube videos and previous experience, I'm considering either the 9" Delkevic carbon or the Leo Vince, along with an air filter, AIS delete and a full tune (do it right do it once, do it once do it right). Anyone have any insight, experience or other suggestions? Full disclosure, I understand some folks don't much care for DBs. I'm not one of them ;) Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times.
Here's to black coffee, neat whiskey, and making the most of all the nonsense in between.

Offline RobZ900

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2950
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
  • Country: gb
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 07:32:03 AM
*Originally Posted by akaSUPERMAN [+]
Hey all, I'm new to the Z900 (just came up from the Vulcan 650) and I'm looking at exhausts. Based on looking at this forum, listening to about 50 different YouTube videos and previous experience, I'm considering either the 9" Delkevic carbon or the Leo Vince, along with an air filter, AIS delete and a full tune (do it right do it once, do it once do it right). Anyone have any insight, experience or other suggestions? Full disclosure, I understand some folks don't much care for DBs. I'm not one of them ;) Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times.

Dont bother with the air filter, not worth the money. Just take a chisel to the OEM filter and remove the metal mesh on it.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2617
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
  • Country: england
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 08:14:16 AM
*Originally Posted by akaSUPERMAN [+]
Hey all, I'm new to the Z900 (just came up from the Vulcan 650) and I'm looking at exhausts. Based on looking at this forum, listening to about 50 different YouTube videos and previous experience, I'm considering either the 9" Delkevic carbon or the Leo Vince, along with an air filter, AIS delete and a full tune (do it right do it once, do it once do it right). Anyone have any insight, experience or other suggestions? Full disclosure, I understand some folks don't much care for DBs. I'm not one of them ;) Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times.

If you want life saving loud you need a header or decat in conjunction with either of those mufflers.
dB increase will be minimal with the breadbox still present.
 
AIS delete is pretty pointless if you still have the cat in place
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline akaSUPERMAN

  • Z900 Junior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Bike: '19 Z900
  • Town / City: Oakley
  • Country: us
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 01:57:42 PM
I should have mentioned I'm planning on getting a full system, not just slip on, but thank you for getting back to me so fast. As for cutting the air filter.... just no... unless you were joking. In that case, haha...?
Here's to black coffee, neat whiskey, and making the most of all the nonsense in between.