Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shorty exhaust options  (Read 3062 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Shorty exhaust options
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 02:18:37 PM
No, not joking. Aftermarket air filters on this bike arenít worth it as thereís no gains to be made (unless you plan on modifying the airbox too). The metal mesh on the OEM filter is just held on by 4 little plastic tabs that you can knock off with a chisel if you want to increase airflow, but again, no gains to be had. Thereís a thread on this forum about the mesh on the air filter.I was originally thinking about a sprint air filter for mine but have since seen that thereís no point.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 04:11:12 PM
supernoisyman,

Over the decades there's been countless articles and comments about idiotic noise making with a motorcycle.

"Full disclosure, I understand some folks don't much care for DBs. I'm not one of them ;) Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times."

There's even been a few psychiatric reports filed on the mental condition of those idiots.

Of this you cane be certain, no matter what your condition ... nice people want you and your noise silenced.

Offline akaSUPERMAN

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: '19 Z900
  • Town / City: Oakley
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 04:34:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Its about speed [+]
supernoisyman,

Over the decades there's been countless articles and comments about idiotic noise making with a motorcycle.

"Full disclosure, I understand some folks don't much care for DBs. I'm not one of them ;) Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times."

There's even been a few psychiatric reports filed on the mental condition of those idiots.

Of this you cane be certain, no matter what your condition ... nice people want you and your noise silenced.

I'd rather be a living idiot than a silent dead man. But in the meantime, go ahead and take your useless editorial and shove it up your own tail pipe so that actual nice people don't have to suffer from your misplaced self righteousness.
Here's to black coffee, neat whiskey, and making the most of all the nonsense in between.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 03:20:14 AM
*Originally Posted by akaSUPERMAN [+]
I'd rather be a living idiot than a silent dead man. But in the meantime, go ahead and take your useless editorial and shove it up your own tail pipe so that actual nice people don't have to suffer from your misplaced self righteousness.
.        Amen!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 01:25:04 PM
*Originally Posted by akaSUPERMAN [+]

Yes, a rather rude post no doubt.... but not an entirely useless editorial either. Seems like many of the snow flakes today are not appreciative of others intruding upon their space (including their hearing space).  I'm no different than most riders, I like how modified exhausts can sound much better than OEM pipes. In low-speed situations like parking lots and slow-moving congested traffic, I think loud pipes can be useful if revved to provide attention-getting noise. But even with that said, I'm not so sure loud pipes (or rev bombing) can save lives in most scenarios. The only sound that most drivers can hear in a vehicle with closed windows, is that of emergency vehicle sirens.

Just something to ponder....

How many of these accident scenarios can be prevented by having loud pipes?

1. Driver running a red light from left or right.

2. Driver entering roadway from left or right did not see you.

3. Driver turning across road in front of oncoming traffic did not see you.

4. Driver not watching road (texting or whatever) and crosses center line.

5.. Driver changing lanes, did not see you (especially on expressway).

6. Driver approaching stopped traffic too fast and can't stop in time.

7. Driver tail-gating and cannot stop in time.

8. Parked vehicle opening door into lane of traffic.

9. Lane splitting, driver ahead changing lanes and did not see you.

10. Obstacles in the road.

Good luck with your exhaust modifications. The Z can sound really awesome with the right setup.  :821:

Offline akaSUPERMAN

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #25 on: August 28, 2021, 02:41:49 PM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
Yes, a rather rude post no doubt.... but not an entirely useless editorial either. Seems like many of the snow flakes today are not appreciative of others intruding upon their space (including their hearing space).  I'm no different than most riders, I like how modified exhausts can sound much better than OEM pipes. In low-speed situations like parking lots and slow-moving congested traffic, I think loud pipes can be useful if revved to provide attention-getting noise. But even with that said, I'm not so sure loud pipes (or rev bombing) can save lives in most scenarios. The only sound that most drivers can hear in a vehicle with closed windows, is that of emergency vehicle sirens.

Just something to ponder....

How many of these accident scenarios can be prevented by having loud pipes?

1. Driver running a red light from left or right.

2. Driver entering roadway from left or right did not see you.

3. Driver turning across road in front of oncoming traffic did not see you.

4. Driver not watching road (texting or whatever) and crosses center line.

5.. Driver changing lanes, did not see you (especially on expressway).

6. Driver approaching stopped traffic too fast and can't stop in time.

7. Driver tail-gating and cannot stop in time.

8. Parked vehicle opening door into lane of traffic.

9. Lane splitting, driver ahead changing lanes and did not see you.

10. Obstacles in the road.

Good luck with your exhaust modifications. The Z can sound really awesome with the right setup.  :821:

Yes, your thoughts are very well received. I'm no advocate for noise for noises sake. Not a fan of knuckleheads splitting lanes at 90 mph. All I'm saying was that in commuting situations, it's easier to navigate traffic when drivers have a better chance to notice a biker when said biker gives the driver a chance to hear them coming. After that, it's all the responsibility of the biker to drive on the defense.

That being said, in case yall were wondering, I ended up going with the Delkevic. Lol. Had it on my last bike and was really happy with it.
Here's to black coffee, neat whiskey, and making the most of all the nonsense in between.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2021, 02:49:02 PM
Huh, I had a Delkevic on my previous bike. It was just a slip-on, but was a huge improvement compared to the OEM exhaust.  :082:

Offline akaSUPERMAN

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2021, 02:53:49 PM
Yeah this one will be a full system. Not really crazy about the polished stainless, but after a tune I'm hoping it will wake the Z up a bit.

Offline jbolin

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2021, 05:38:25 PM
My wife started showing interest in riding on the back of the bike with me a couple weeks ago. This ultimately led me to purchase a set of rider gear for her over the past couple weeks. Gear is so expensive!!! This will delay my exhaust system for a month or 2 :( The good news is, she approved all my mods as long as I am sensible about the purchase timing! <3 my woman!

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2021, 05:41:02 PM
 "misplaced self righteousness."
 "I'm no advocate for noise for noises sake."
 "Loud pipes save lives, including mine a few times."

3 consecutive lies doesn't make a single truth. You're a liar x3, SUPERMAN.

I started defending motorcyclists right to alter their bikes in 1969. I lost the battle. We now suffer from Federal, state and local sound restrictions. 80db is the TOTAL sound limit on every motorcycle registered in America. there's about 8.2 million of 'em. The EPA took over the legal aspect.

Expelling excess and abusive noise is idiotic. You're hurting everyone. Children, old folks, disabled, pregnant women basically everyone who's not deaf, you're hurting. You're being a bully with your noise.

Rather than make noise to warn others of your ignorance, develop the skills to ride to live. Loud pipes were debunked in about 1972. They cause more harm than good. Repeating the old lie hasn't been in the best interest of accomplished motorcyclists.

Your sewer speak at me was dumb.