Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ceramic paint exhaust  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
ceramic paint exhaust
on: August 31, 2021, 01:45:15 AM
So the painter I chose had my parts for 14 days and that was enough.  Decided to do it myself.
Had to brush blast all the parts.  Used a nice hvlp spray gun and 0.8 tip.

Need to let it cure and I'll have to paint the tape areas under the header collars/fasteners?  Not sure what they're called.  Had to eliminate the moving part and hit the crucial areas first.
Anyway, can't wait to wrap this up.  Now that I'm doing it, can't hurry it.  But at the same time, can't wait to get my bike back.

It's coming along and not too bad.  I have industrial experience, wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: ceramic paint exhaust
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 12:56:22 AM
The parts blasted

And the  Leo Vince Nero, blasted the stainless part and link pipe.  All blacked out now.
They look great, getting excited 😊

Offline Riek954

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 07:13:40 PM
nice job.
Who Dares Wins

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 10:52:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Riek954 [+]
nice job.

Thanks man.  It's Cerakote Glacier Black.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:15:32 AM
That looks great. Black is my favorite exhaust color. 👍

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 02:23:07 AM
Thanks Zed.  Was a lot of prep work, including building a blast containment on the back patio (cleanup too) and a full paint enclosure in my unfinished basement.  Pretty strong fumes, did the half mask respirator with organic vapor cartridges and full tyvex suit. .  It's pretty toxic stuff.  Sure sprayed nice though.

Can't wait to get it  mounted and my ermax belly fairing arrived too.  Just makes sense to get the pipes on first.  Once the bagster seat gets here.  Done deal and my perfect Z 😁

Great thing about this stuff, can resist 2000 degrees, chemical resistance, almost immune to thermal shock.  Should protect those pipes for a lifetime.
Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 02:29:12 AM by Teddy_900

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 02:02:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Teddy_900 [+]
Thanks Zed.  Was a lot of prep work, including building a blast containment on the back patio (cleanup too) and a full paint enclosure in my unfinished basement.  Pretty strong fumes, did the half mask respirator with organic vapor cartridges and full tyvex suit. .  It's pretty toxic stuff.  Sure sprayed nice though.

Can't wait to get it  mounted and my ermax belly fairing arrived too.  Just makes sense to get the pipes on first.  Once the bagster seat gets here.  Done deal and my perfect Z 😁

Great thing about this stuff, can resist 2000 degrees, chemical resistance, almost immune to thermal shock.  Should protect those pipes for a lifetime.
It's all in the prep, which you've done right. When painting anything, proper preparation is everything for a fantastic result. Takes lots of patience.

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 04:26:53 PM
Zed, agreed buddy.  Had to use an external tank, water seperator, face shield on blast, pvc gloves, can't touch the steel with your bare hands.  Rubber gloves only.  And when I did and left my grease on it, acetone wipe and re blast.  Or the stuff don't stick.  Same will go for my corrective work.  Gloves only.  Until it's fully cured, including mounting it, and then thermo cycled several times before it's truly safe to touch.
Yeah, really needed to be thought out, bunch of work.  Spraying only took a couple hours lol.
Thanks man 👍

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 03:00:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Teddy_900 [+]
Zed, agreed buddy.  Had to use an external tank, water seperator, face shield on blast, pvc gloves, can't touch the steel with your bare hands.  Rubber gloves only.  And when I did and left my grease on it, acetone wipe and re blast.  Or the stuff don't stick.  Same will go for my corrective work.  Gloves only.  Until it's fully cured, including mounting it, and then thermo cycled several times before it's truly safe to touch.
Yeah, really needed to be thought out, bunch of work.  Spraying only took a couple hours lol.
Thanks man 👍
Whenever I do anything it's to the best of my ability, which is pretty good, but... your above description of the process is exactly why I wouldn't attempt to paint my exhaust. 🍻

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 03:52:54 PM
"Great thing about this stuff, can resist 2000 degrees, chemical resistance, almost immune to thermal shock.  Should protect those pipes for a lifetime." Teddy_900

I think you're right Teddy.

Rock chips, road chemicals, bug guts should be ignored too right?

The OEM stainless steel exhaust unpainted meets NASA regulations. But ...