Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Peak to Peak Highway  (Read 514 times)

Online hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: CO
Peak to Peak Highway
on: August 23, 2021, 05:35:31 PM
On Friday, me and the Z tossed a water bottle in the tailbag, and went out for a ride on Peak to Peak highway.

I can't explain how insane the views were.  For those unfamiliar, here is a very short primer on the road - https://www.tripsavvy.com/enjoy-the-peak-to-peak-scenic-byway-estes-park-4173960

It's insanely fun, and the views are just about unbeatable.  A total elevation change along the way of just under 5,000ft, with the highest elevation topping out at somewhere just around the 9,000ft mark.

You pass by mountain lakes, valleys as far as the eye can see, some of the highest peaks in the state (Longs Peak is a popular 14'er hike)

If anyone finds themselves in Colorado, this is a must ride.  Even if you're in a car, you'll appreciate the views and the roads.

Below are a few pics from the day...I can't wait to do it again in a few weeks once the leaves start turning.  It will truly be a sight to behold.

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Pro
  • Government funded = tax payer funded
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Rushden
Re: Peak to Peak Highway
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 04:52:50 PM
*Originally Posted by hazy [+]

I love those signs Motorcycles use extreme caution

Its been my experience that caution is the last thing motorcycles use.

Its like an envelope telling you Photos Do Not Bend, clearly they do, theyre printed on paper ffs.
The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Online hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: CO
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:06:53 PM
*Originally Posted by PJ69 [+]
I love those signs Motorcycles use extreme caution

Its been my experience that caution is the last thing motorcycles use.

Its like an envelope telling you Photos Do Not Bend, clearly they do, theyre printed on paper ffs.

hahaha well the warning is definitely warranted here...there are a few spots on this road where running wide on a turn can result in a serious drop...hundreds of feet down sheer cliffside, maybe more in some instances.  There are guardrails in many spots, but also plenty of spots with nothing.  Maybe after a few runs up/down it knowing the road I'd push it hard, but I definitely took my time on this trip, especially with it being an unfamiliar road.  I'm just out there to enjoy the ride, not kill myself hahaha

You aren't wrong, though...I passed a handful of groups on supersports who were driving like they were at a trackday.  That's never really been my style, but more power to ya if you have the cajones to do it on those types of roads!!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 04:42:23 PM
Maybe some remnants of rock slides also?

I remember a narrow road in SE Iowa down by the Mississippi river... lots of limestone rock sliders on the roadway. We rode that one with plenty of caution.

Offline jamestpc

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Fonthill
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 04:56:58 PM
*Originally Posted by hazy [+]

Great scenery....
James

2017 z900
2006 stratoliner midnight

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 02:40:52 AM
That is indeed spectacular. And your blue bike looks awesome against the sky.