Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken chain  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Z900GERM

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: CAMBRIA(CEN-COAST)
Broken chain
on: September 15, 2021, 02:20:13 AM
Hello all, I went to clean my chain and noticed a o-ring has slipped out. What do you think caused this and is it OK to ride 40 miles to the shop? It's an rk chain.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Broken chain
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 03:13:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Z900GERM [+]
Hello all, I went to clean my chain and noticed a o-ring has slipped out. What do you think caused this and is it OK to ride 40 miles to the shop? It's an rk chain.
Can happen for different reasons...

1) method chain is cleaned
2) chemicals used
3) improper axle alignment
4) mileage
5) none or all above  :002:

My last 520 chain I used, it started to get stiff spots at 20K miles and when I changed it, I found remains of an oring caught around the corner of the swing-arm. So now I put chains on a "change at 18K to 20K miles" preventive maintenance routine.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Member
  • Government funded = tax payer funded
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Rushden
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 02:22:55 PM
Assuming you have 2 hands, Id buy an aftermarket chain from DID etc and invest in a chain splitting/ rivetting tool. I did with my Versys and even with a top of range chain, and tool, saved 110 over the oem chain, plus the workshop labour.
The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 02:50:13 PM
I forgot to comment on this question...
is it OK to ride 40 miles to the shop? It's an rk chain.
You can easily ride it 40...50...100 miles or so like this. The only purpose the o-ring has is to keep grease in and debris out. The chain needs replacement so you will not harm anything else....unless you've been noticing a very obvious vibration or noise.

While its true you can change chain yourself, it takes a bit of skill (understanding) how to properly crimp the rivet link. There is a VERY fine line to get the proper crimp. If you go just slightly too tight in the crimp, not much you can do to undo that and you would need to cut off and start again. First timers I suggest you have a spare rivet link on hand just in case. Ride with it very slightly too tight and you will rip an o-ring out of it in no time.

Of course you can take the easy way out and use a clip style master link but would only suggest the rivet style for safety reasons.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:59:39 PM
Ride it and keep checking on that link after every ride. It could be easily many (many many) thousand of miles before it gets stiff.

But yes, for peace of mind, replace it if it's bother you.

DID chains are famous for that, i have few friends with more than 5 missing x-rings on theirs ZVMX chains (original, made in Japan, not some counterfeit chains). Never happened to me, but, they ride it and keep checking. They replace the chain when one of those links goes bad, that usually happens after few thousand miles, sometimes even 10.000 miles, depends of riding condition (dry, wet, etc).....
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:07:21 PM by 3alfa3

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:46:22 PM
How often do you lube? That chain looks dry as a bone, which can cause an oring to tear.
Replacing the chain only is easy. After splitting it, wire the new chain to the old to pull it around the front sprocket.
As Frontline has said, I believe also, rivet master link only. You do need a quality rivet tool and some mechanical skill to do it right. There's loads of YouTube vids on it, just pick the correct one. Or ask an experienced friend to help.

If you lube your chain it can still be driven a long time but not advisable. Just think how many people ride like this without knowing.

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 04:09:53 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
How often do you lube?

not directed to me, but.....

I am in experiment that keeps on going..... I ride only on dry roads, i lube every 500km, but only rollers so that lube can penetrate inside of them. I keep o/x rings unlubed just to see their limit to that (dry) condition. Stock chain, 31500km so far, o/x rings are as good as  new. chain is never cleaned, but, i do use Valvoline White synthetic chain lube (using it for more than 10 years) which is dry and almost absolutely non sticky. I wipe chain with dry rag before lubing. Shame it is discontinued for sticky transparent one, it flings all around and it is very difficult to clean (WD40 or kerosene is needed), i gave it to a friend who dont care for chain lube flinging.

Here's a picture i just took (200 km after lubing, but notice that i wipe it with dry rag after lubing as well, so rollers are mostly dry on the outside)

Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:14:09 PM by 3alfa3

Offline Z900GERM

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 05:50:35 PM
I actually feel like I lube more than I should. Usually every 2 rides because I live on a dirt road and don't like the dirt sticking to the chain. I think the reason it looks dry is cuz of the dust sticking to the sticky lube. I live off of a dirt road.

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 06:08:01 PM
I actually feel like I lube more than I should. Usually every 2 rides because I live on a dirt road and don't like the dirt sticking to the chain. I think the reason it looks dry is cuz of the dust sticking to the sticky lube. I live off of a dirt road.

you should  not using sticky lube in that condition, that forms grinding paste that is abrasive. Use non sticky lube, PTFE dry lube for example, it should be applied more often, but it keeps chain free of dirt
Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:08:59 PM by 3alfa3

Offline Z900GERM

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 07:51:04 PM
Would maxima chain wax be considered non sticky?