Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken chain  (Read 1716 times)

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Re: Broken chain
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 11:00:06 PM
I just wipe with rag as well.  :028:
Use an old toothbrush at most if need to get the grime and junk off.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 06:21:24 PM
I rarely scrub my chain but I did it last winter on a project bike whose chain was totally gunked and dirty but otherwise in good shape.
I filled a cup with kerosene and used an old toothbrush (music on the stereo and a couple of beers 🍻). I laid down on my side, scrubbed then wiped with a cloth as I went along. It didn't take as long as I expected.
The next day I lubed it with Liquid Wrench chain lube from the auto parts store. The stuff is less expensive and doesn't fling. Been using it for years.

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

• Z900 Pro
  • OneOfTheNobodies
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 01:03:14 PM
I also noticed on my DID chain that have 7500 km on it that one of the X/O rings had failed and thought .. "oh no, brand new sprockets and chain.. expensive" and 7500 km are not far at all on a brand new set .. however! .. DID said that the chain was ok to be used as normal but the life span of the chain was going to be affected but I could use it as normal and it was not called for a replacement right away .. nice  to know :) still I want to chance it in the winter time  :190:
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Reverse Radial  - Rizoma levers - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro - Oxford HeatedGrips

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 02:04:24 PM
*Originally Posted by OneOfTheNobodies [+]
I also noticed on my DID chain that have 7500 km on it that one of the X/O rings had failed and thought .. "oh no, brand new sprockets and chain.. expensive" and 7500 km are not far at all on a brand new set .. however! .. DID said that the chain was ok to be used as normal but the life span of the chain was going to be affected but I could use it as normal and it was not called for a replacement right away .. nice  to know :) still I want to chance it in the winter time  :190:
At 7500km you can replace the chain only. I know, I know... always replace chain and sprockets together because old sprockets will prematurely wear a new chain.
If you buy a quality new chain and keep it lubed, you'll most likely get near 20,000 miles (not km's) from it with your barely worn sprockets.
And the big plus is it's easy. Thread the new chain using the old one as a snake, rivet the link, adjust for slack and you're done.
Replace them all as a group next time.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 02:24:12 PM
I've used a "grunge brush" for years with no problems, kerosene and scrubbed the sh*t outta chains- 'cause gold is cool looking  :001:
Dupont chain saver applied on a warm chain, very little to no fling off later.  :028:
"The ride is the reason"

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 02:51:08 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
I've used a "grunge brush" for years with no problems, kerosene and scrubbed the sh*t outta chains- 'cause gold is cool looking  :001:
Dupont chain saver applied on a warm chain, very little to no fling off later.  :028:
DuPont chain saver is good stuff but my local Home Depot doesn't carry it lately. I've been using Liquid Wrench chain lube from my auto parts store for the past few years. It's very similar to the DuPont in price and low fling. In fact I like it better. After 3-400 miles, the chain still looks wet with the Liquid Wrench.