Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Life Outdoors at 42 N 89 W  (Read 2565 times)

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Life Outdoors at 42 N 89 W
on: October 02, 2021, 12:51:10 PM
October 1 - Walking along a path and looked up the water ditch and saw this weird looking trail in the mud. A medium-sized snapper was working his way up to a small water hole. When moving through the muddy ditch, his shell was scooping up mud and algae looked like a big cow dung with legs waddling up the ditch. 

Drought is severe, most water ditches are dry and the main creek is the lowest Ive seen it in 25 years. This is the rock crossing. Ive never seen the bottom of the creek bed, until now. Water level is down 2-3 feet. Two reasons for this severe drought and beavers have been busy. This dam is 20 years old, and they have worked it heavily this year because of the drought. Most of those vertical sticks were not there last fall. The dam height is 6 feet.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Re: Life Outdoors at 42 N 89 W
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 06:23:11 PM
I can relate to what you said.

Desertification is a new term I'm learning about. The water moved away from here. The bone dry low humidity is taking over N California. The clouds pass over and don't rain any more than a sprinkle.  We're becoming an arid-zone.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 03:14:55 AM
A friend of mine has a beaver dam in the stream (now a good size pond) in back of his house. He took me on a tour of the dam last year. Holy moly the thing is twelve feet high on the downstream face. All mud and sticks and whole chopped down trees! They actually gnaw on the trees in such a way as to have them fall across the upstream face of the dam!  :020:
It was the first time I had ever really seen one and it was worth a look. Highly impressive. Those little buggers are industrious.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 03:14:21 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Those little buggers are industrious.

Yessir... born with engineering instinct. In the summer they cut down corn stalks and drag them down to creek to plug up the dam.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 03:38:08 PM
Oct 3 thru Oct 10 checked and trimmed 8 existing stands and setup 3 new stands. Field work (and dragging deer out) is a lot easier with the little Green Machine (Grizzly 700).

Headed out to the NE quadrant. This corn will be the last to be harvested. Laid a board across a dry ditch it will have water in it and 4-5 feet wide in November.

Temps are starting to cool down some, 45-65. Had a few good rains and some water ditches are filling up a bit. The Snapper turtle ditch has water in it again.

One new setup is on a narrow water ditch. No debris, just weeds and grass. Deer are moving and bedding the whole length of it (about 500 yards) like on a Sunday stroll. It runs east-west and connects East cover to Central cover on property. Beans on both sides, they probably use it during daylight to stay out of sight. I call this one the funnel ditch bucks might use it when looking for Does in November.

Bike in storage now, could have been riding this past week but pre-hunt work must be done.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 02:21:58 PM
Oct 16 - setup stand #12... 300 yards across bean field in a 5 acre stand of pines. Well-used trail in there with fresh scrapes. Windy day and pine needles started to cover them by midday. Soy beans are a magnet, especially after harvest is completed.

Checked the main creek... water is only ankle deep. For now, easy to cross when going to the Creek Corner stand. Creek is on the back side of this tree where stand is now setup (no walking on deer trails located at this travel funnel).

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 07:44:51 PM
Oct 22 - First hunt of the season, Rock Crossing near beaver dam. No deer moved through on this very foggy morning. The sound you hear are Sand Hill Cranes. They stay in the area until end of November, then head further south.

On my way out driving down dirt road, there was a flock of turkeys feeding in the cut beans. Didnt even shut off engine, just lowered window and filmed a bit. Didnt take long and they had enough all were watching me closely.

Oct 23 Evening hunt at the East Gate. Some years ago, there was a lane gate that separated these two ag fields, now its just an open path between them. Deer began filtering out of cover right at sunset, both sides of me east and west with a NNE wind.

At the 5:30 mark in video, you can hear the coyotes begin yiping and howling. And at the 7:00 mark, you can see a perfect example of how deer stiff-leg when something isnt right. I think this Doe picked up a slight movement by me, but wasnt really sure and didnt really flag out.

And of course, 10 minutes after legal shooting light and too dark to video a nice 10-pt buck moved thru the lane. Got a good look at him with binos, definitely a breeder buck.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 08:33:44 PM
Oct 24/25 - Drought is definitely over 1.55 of rain. Main creek was 2 feet deep after rain ended, but went back down to ankle depth in 2 days. The snapper turtle ditch is now full of water. Autumn colors are now at their peak. A few Cedars on the property and Goldenrod are done. Big Oaks and Hickory are beautiful with an autumn blue sky. Lots of Pin Oaks and a ton of Willows.

Snapper Turtle Ditch            Cedar n Goldenrod              Big Oaks n Hickory             Pin Oak n Willows

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 08:43:36 PM
Oct 27 Morning hunt Northwest area. Calm wind and some frost a clear sunny morning is good for rising thermals.

Caught some Does on video headed to bedding area. Momma Doe first and little one trailing behind. Check out how she uses her nose, always checking the wind.

Sun up good and frost melted quickly off of a Pin Oak... like rain dripping off leaves.

No hunt on the 28th (rain) and the 29th (high wind). All Hallows Eve is near, and deer activity increases significantly.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 06:55:28 PM
Yesterday while motoring along at 40 degrees and 50' N I came upon a flock of wild turkeys lounging on the road. It was late afternoon at 3000' elevation. The remarkable thing was one of them was an albino female. I got to within 20' of her.  I've never before seen an albino. 

We received 11" of rain last week so some people say the drought has ended.  We're still more than 40" below average.  The autumn colors are outstanding this year, the leaves are still holding on.