Author What's the best tire for a non-track day rider who only drives in good weather?  (Read 2514 times)

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    249
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Z900 ABS
    I get it, everyone is getting the Michelin Road 5 Tires.   But as good as they are, they are more tire than I need.  I don't ride in the rain or in any inclement weather. I don't go to a track and I don't rip around on public roads.  I am looking for what is essentially a touring / high mileage tire that wont break the wallet.   

Dunlop gets a bad name from the OEM tires Kawi puts on the Z900, but they do make a decent tire -right?

Anyone else fairly conservative and needs decent handling but want better longevity that outright performance? If so, what tire do you run?

The following tires are what seem to stand out, but I am looking for anyone's opinion.

My Short list:
    Dunlop Roadsmart 4
    Pirelli Angel GT

Anything else I should be considering?

• Offline Cazzy_R   england

• Z900 God  ‐    2961

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
    Re: What's the best tire for a non-track day rider who only drives in good weath
    Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2021, 11.49 pm
    Oct 23, 2021, 11.49 pm
     You may get a good deal on Bridgestone T31's now that they have been superseded by the T32.
     For that matter even their predecessors the BT-023 or T30 Evo should suit your requirements, just watch the date codes.

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    249
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: What's the best tire for a non-track day rider who only drives in good weath
    Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2021, 12.25 am
    Oct 24, 2021, 12.25 am
    *Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
    You may get a good deal on Bridgestone T31's now that they have been superseded by the T32.
     For that matter even their predecessors the BT-023 or T30 Evo should suit your requirements, just watch the date codes.

Thanks, I will look into them.  I wish tire manufactures would publish such specs like automotive tire manufactures do. 

• Offline Bentham   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    118

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Bristol
    Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2021, 12.03 pm
    Oct 25, 2021, 12.03 pm
    i had Bridgestones for years but lately the front tyre shoulders would be worn badly by 5000/6000 miles with the T30 & T31 type tyres. It badly affected the turn in and needed changing. I think this is a result of the dual compound mixture they use.
    I switched to Pirelli Angel GT when they had an offer, better tyre than the Bridgestone  & 10,000 mile life.
    Trying Metzeler Roadtec SE01 at the moment, starting to feel the front tip in changing now due to wear at 7000 miles, but plenty of life left. Best tyre I've ever had for all year riding/wet weather/track days/European long trips.

Hope this helps.

• Offline Flyingraptor   be

• Z900 Member  ‐    98

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Member
    • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Central Belgium
    Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2021, 01.21 pm
    Oct 25, 2021, 01.21 pm
    I have Pirelli Angel GT II's fitted to my Z. There's a whole topic on these tyres in the forum's Tyres section. Still happy with the Angel GT II's, but as a next option I was thinking to try the Mitas Touring Force. They are cheaper and - based on the reviews I read - perform really well. Not sure whether those are imported into the USA though.

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    249
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2021, 05.40 pm
    Oct 25, 2021, 05.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bentham [+]
    i had Bridgestones for years but lately the front tyre shoulders would be worn badly by 5000/6000 miles with the T30 & T31 type tyres. It badly affected the turn in and needed changing. I think this is a result of the dual compound mixture they use.
    I switched to Pirelli Angel GT when they had an offer, better tyre than the Bridgestone  & 10,000 mile life.
    Trying Metzeler Roadtec SE01 at the moment, starting to feel the front tip in changing now due to wear at 7000 miles, but plenty of life left. Best tyre I've ever had for all year riding/wet weather/track days/European long trips.

Hope this helps.

At this point I would be happy to get 5000/6000 miles.  I'm on 2000K and my front tire is shot.  :232: 

I too share the concern about dual compound formulas.  Based on my driving habits, I could easily get by with a single compound tire with reasonable grip.  But, in an emergency maneuver, its nice to know I have extra grip if needed. 

Did you get 10K from the Angel GT tires?  I have not looked at the Metzeler Roadtec SE01... :084:.   Budget is only a concern because I am a tight-wad, lol.   I don;t want to pay for more tire than I need.

Michelin is also having a rebate right now, so there is that.....

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    249
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2021, 05.42 pm
    Oct 25, 2021, 05.42 pm
    *Originally Posted by Flyingraptor [+]
    I have Pirelli Angel GT II's fitted to my Z. There's a whole topic on these tyres in the forum's Tyres section. Still happy with the Angel GT II's, but as a next option I was thinking to try the Mitas Touring Force. They are cheaper and - based on the reviews I read - perform really well. Not sure whether those are imported into the USA though.

Sometimes, too many choices is a bad thing.    :087:  Thanks for the info.  I will need to start a spread sheet on this.. :006:

• Offline mADmAN   my

• Z900 Pro  ‐    184

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
    • Town / City: Petaling Jaya
    Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2021, 05.52 am
    Oct 26, 2021, 05.52 am
    *Originally Posted by Bentham [+]

*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
    I have not looked at the Metzeler Roadtec SE01... :084:.   Budget is only a concern because I am a tight-wad, lol.   I don;t want to pay for more tire than I need.

i have to second the Metzeler Roadtec 01. i havent tried the 01 SE but they are the same tire with just the threads cut short on the side of the tires for better dry cornering grip.

i am currently trying out the Road5 and i have to say i think i prefer the Roadtec more.  the Road 5s are a little lazy to lean in corners but the Roadtecs are real nice to lean. i managed to get about 18k km on my roadtecs if i remember correctly. grip in wet is almost the same though i do feel the Road 5 may be a lil better.

as for price, over here the roadtecs were the cheapest amongst T31, Road5, Angel GT etc which prompted me to try them in the first place.

i think ill probably be going back to the roadtecs once the Road5s are worn.

FYI, i live in malaysia....where the days are super hot... or thunderstorming.... or both in the same day.

• Offline zeta   fi

• Z900 Master  ‐    604

Offline zeta

• Z900 Master
    • Town / City: Lohja
    Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2021, 04.46 pm
    Dec 18, 2021, 04.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Flyingraptor [+]

I'm "the Mitas guy", I've ridden the Tuono V4 (with the race map, 180+ my little ponies) on a track with the Touring Force in the rear and the Sports Force+ in the front with great success (didn't crash) in the "semi-fast" group (my first time on track last August). I had Angels in the Z, amazing tyres (MUCH better than Michelin Road5 IMO), I can highly recommend to anyone. Mitas TF/SF+ are on the same level with the Angels but way less expensive. Check if mprenkaat-store.com delivers to Belgium (a Finnish company), they have been the cheapest online shop so far.

• Offline zed9   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    4658

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2021, 09.58 pm
    Dec 20, 2021, 09.58 pm
    I'm a new huge believer in the Conti RA3 but they are expensive tires (and well worth it for sporty riding).
    From reading your original post, I see you want a decent budget tire for normal riding.
    It's another Continental product that was recommended to me by another rider for another bike I own. And they are the Continental ContiMotion. I like them. They have the same numb feedback as as the Bridgestone bt series sport touring tires but they have good turn-in and grip. In the US you can buy a set for LESS than $170. That's for TWO! (Front and Rear)

As a natter of fact, the Bridgestone t30 EVO's have gone off on my ZRX. Even though there's plenty of tread, I believe they have gone hard and now I have to force the bars to initiate and hold a turn.
    I'm buying the ContiMotions for the ZRX.

I'll still continue the RA3 for the z900 because of their excellent feedback and grip and because it's the z900 I ride most in a sporting fashion.

rockbound