Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Going to the unread post  (Read 358 times)

Offline shunkx

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
Going to the unread post
on: October 25, 2021, 08:54:59 AM
Hi,
I noticed that if you want to read any topic, you can either click on it, then it leads you to the very first post.
You can also click an icon on the right side, which will lead you to last post.
And here is my problem. You go to last post, but you need to scroll up to search for the last post you read.
Other forums have this option, so you can hop directly to last read post, or first unread post.
I think it would be of a big help to introduce such an option here on this forum. :440:

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • Z900 Pro
  • Admin/Moderator
Re: Going to the unread post
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 01:28:31 PM
There's a link to the last post of a topic in the right hand column of the forum index.

You can get a listing of unread posts but I really don't think it's possible from within a topic itself. Basically you have to look at a list of topics which contain unread posts and then go from there. Those links will then take you to the last unread post.

Can't say that I've seen this on other forums tbh but probably not looked for it.

Instread of going into the topic would you not be better looking at the "unread" posts listing and then going from there ? Otherwise if you go into a topic then an unread post may well be on that page you are viewing so from that point on it would be registered as "read".

Offline shunkx

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 02:36:09 PM
Thanks for a fast response!
I can try to use "unread" button, but it won't change much, I think. I forgot on which forum I saw this option, need to search for it.
It's not a big deal, but just a very nice feature to have. Not sure though if it is based on cookies or somehow forum remembers the last seen row..

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • Z900 Pro
  • Admin/Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 09:19:24 AM
*Originally Posted by shunkx [+]
Not sure though if it is based on cookies or somehow forum remembers the last seen row..

No cookies, it's basically with timestamps in the database.

Because the database is involved it can get a bit resource hungary at times so expanding that system could well slow down the forum at peak times when hundreds of members are viewing.