Author Topic: GP Vinyls 2020 -> Z900 Cup Go Faster Graphics  (Read 305 times)

• Offline PJ69   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    162
    • Topic Author

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Rushden
    GP Vinyls 2020 -> Z900 Cup Go Faster Graphics
    on: Jan 13, 2022, 08.16 am
    Jan 13, 2022, 08.16 am
    3 weeks after ordering, and just before Christmas, my A2 sized envelope full of stickers turned up from GP Vinyls in Spain.

I didnít open them before rushing them down to my local vehicle graphics and wrapping company in town to have them all scanned for easy replacement in future.

Anyway, I got them back on Tuesday and have been slowly fitting them after carefully cleaning and degreasing each panel, which was my plan for a deep clean over Winter anyway.

You need 3 pairs of hands, (unless youíre a pro with flexible, position-able arm & clamp), a heat gun / hair dryer and a totally lint free microfibre cloth as well as scissors / scalpel to have any chance of doing the job well.

I started with the front mud guard, off the bike. 5 pieces for that panel; and predictably, the main large centre piece took me an age and has a few air bubbles, which Iíll work on with a needle & heat gun later.

The keel (lower plastics) were simple off the bike. The swingarm stickers went on easily. The tail section has 6 separate vinyls to apply, & I was getting the hang of balancing the heat gun on my head, using my nose to press the stickers in place setting my beard on fire twice, etc etc.

The side plastics on the tank were the most difficult so far, and trying to get the main spine one down the tank aligned is almost impossible (for me) as the vinyls do stretch as they heat mould round the contours.

Anyway, itís always fun learning something new, and Iím almost confident enough to try a new screen cover for my phone.

Pics of the job so far:

The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

• Offline PJ69   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    162
    • Topic Author

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: GP Vinyls 2020 -> Z900 Cup Go Faster Graphics
    Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01.07 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 01.07 pm
    Left & right sides finished. Just the forks to do when I get them back from Maxton next week.

The curved fuel tank panels were tough and took about 20 minutes each with a fairly cool heat gun to form them to the contours without deforming the sheet.

The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    2991

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Wiltshire
    Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01.49 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 01.49 pm
    Looks like a good job. Iíve looked at their graphics kits before but donít think Iíd go with a full set like yours as I think they make the bike look like itís ridden harder/faster than I ride lol.
    Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
    : a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

• Offline iBuchon   us

• Z900 God  ‐    1223

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 Z900
    • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
    Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 02.22 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 02.22 pm
    Thatís a tough job. Looks great!

• Offline PJ69   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    162
    • Topic Author

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 04.18 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 04.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
    ÖÖÖÖ.I think they make the bike look like itís ridden harder/faster than I ride lol.

Iím sure thereís plenty of readers who detest them and think the bikeís had its soul ripped out. And the OEM pillion seat cover looks totally lost when fitted with these graphics.

I think these are on the extreme side of what Iíd usually choose. If I wasnít doing track days, Iíd definitely have gone for something more subtle. And Iím sure Iíll look wildly out of place on this in the ďnovice / slow / you need stabilisersĒ group too. Hopefully Iíll get some speed back after a few laps.

• Offline PJ69   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    162
    • Topic Author

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2022, 04.20 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 04.20 pm
    *Originally Posted by iBuchon [+]
    Thatís a tough job. Looks great!

Thanks. Itís so easy to slightly over heat the sticker and stretch it if youíre not careful. I did drop one on the floor (obviously it landed glue side down) and spent 20 minutes with a scalpel plucking grit and dust off the sticky glue. They show every tiny imperfection when any light hits them.

• Offline iBuchon   us

• Z900 God  ‐    1223

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 Z900
    • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
    Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 09.12 pm
    Jan 13, 2022, 09.12 pm
    I feel your pain man. I wrapped my whole bike, but with a plain satin color. Canít imagine the stress of having basically one shot at it and having to align the different pieces.