Author Topic: Aux Light Project - Sneak Peak  (Read 174 times)

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
    Aux Light Project - Sneak Peak
    on: May 11, 2022, 03.48 am
    May 11, 2022, 03.48 am
    After 194 views and only a few good responses on the below thread, I'm ready to share my progress and a sneak peak as to what I'm up to.  :164:

Original question and soliciting for suggestions:

https://www.z900forum.com/index.php?topic=5291.new;topicseen#new

To begin, I had previously installed WOMET-TECH EVOS EDITION FRAME SLIDERS:

https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,4697.msg57100.html#msg57100

I purchased these lights as a test:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS4QTZN

They are small and very bright, much brighter than the headlight and they include an amber fog light. If they turn out to be junk, they are an easy replacement.

This was the starting point.  When looking for a place that was functional and appealing the area between the frame sliders always came back as being the best place. 

Since this is a sneak peak, all I will say is that there was a lot of measuring and testing.  :155: I used Fusion360 to design my bracket and after about 10 revisions came up with a totally viable solution.

Below are the images of the first prototypes I printed and installed.  There is more testing to be done, including tweaking the design to allow proper adjustment.  I hope to have these made up in a model shop out of powder coated steel, but for now they are 3D printed using PETG.  I may consider making these for sale as a kit if there is enough interest.

Future updates will include a custom electrical relay box and wiring to hopefully make the installation look as OEM as possible.  For right now the lights are just mounted and I'm testing the brackets via my daily commute to and from work for hardware integrity while I design the control circuit I will be making. 

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers

• Offline MaverickAus   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    351

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    Re: Aux Light Project - Sneak Peak
    Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 06.44 am
    May 11, 2022, 06.44 am
    Any chance I could buy a one or 2 of your 3d print mounts? Or if you are going to metal ones I can wait for that.

• Offline broderp   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
    Re: Aux Light Project - Sneak Peak
    Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 07.14 pm
    May 11, 2022, 07.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by MaverickAus [+]
    Any chance I could buy a one or 2 of your 3d print mounts? Or if you are going to metal ones I can wait for that.

The goal is to have them fabricated in metal.  The 3D printed parts are thicker than I'd like, but they must stand up to vibration and be solid.  I'm not selling (or giving away) anything right now, sorry.  Partially because they are prototypes and if they fail, you or your bike could have a bad day.  And partially because there may be an opportunity here to manufacture is some quantity. 

Anyone interested must also realize these are very proprietary to WOMET frame sliders.  I tried to find a common point around the same location but could not find any place that would allow for symmetrical mounting.

Cheers.