Author Topic: Bike got stolen  (Read 428 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Cooper17   gb

    • Z900 Junior Member  ‐    4
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Cooper17

    • Z900 Junior Member
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 4
    • Country: gb
    • Town / City: Aberdeen
    Bike got stolen
    on: Jun 19, 2022, 02.21 pm
    Jun 19, 2022, 02.21 pm
    Hey guys my bike got stolen last nite but the only got round the corner but I think the steering lock broke is that part of the frame or is it just a bolt on part

  • Offline Sylwek   gb

    • Z900 Member  ‐    11
    • **
      #1

    Offline Sylwek

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 11
    • Country: gb
    • Town / City: London
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2022, 06.06 am
    Jun 20, 2022, 06.06 am
    *Originally Posted by Cooper17 [+]
    Hey guys my bike got stolen last nite but the only got round the corner but I think the steering lock broke is that part of the frame or is it just a bolt on part


    Steering lock is not a part of the frame, if has immobilizer, steering lock is the part of the ECU.
     I am assuming that your bike has immobilizer, so you can't just buy steering lock from ebay...ECU will not allow you to start engine.  You need a key number and order part from Kawasaki. Possible the number which match to your ECU should be also on steering lock but I am not sure, I recommend contact with Kawasaki.
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 06.16 am by Sylwek

  • Offline MaverickAus   au

    • Z900 Pro  ‐    401
    • ***
      #2

    Offline MaverickAus

    • Z900 Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 401
    • Country: au
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2022, 09.59 am
    Jun 20, 2022, 09.59 am
    *Originally Posted by Sylwek [+]
    if has immobilizer, steering lock is the part of the ECU.

    Mine has the immobiliser yet the steering lock is a mechanical device that has nothing to do with the ECU. When you turn the key to lock the steering there is a pin that slides into a hole in the frame.

    This video shows you how it works inside the first 30 seconds of the video. Yes I know it's not a Z900 ignition switch but the principal is the same.


  • Offline Sylwek   gb

    • Z900 Member  ‐    11
    • **
      #3

    Offline Sylwek

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 11
    • Country: gb
    • Town / City: London
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2022, 03.32 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 03.32 pm
    In this case, new steering lock with new keys and swap immobilizer device from key fob to the new key. 

    Maverick,  I also think that steering lock is a mechanical device but Kawasaki Greenham told me that to change steering lock  and get new keys I have to change also ECU - this is weird, there should be just the immo aerial wiring.   

  • Offline NineseveN   us

    • Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • **
      #4

    Offline NineseveN

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 60
    • Country: us
    • Bike: 2021 Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Pennsylvania
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2022, 04.23 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 04.23 pm
    I'd find it hard to swallow that a broken steering lock requires a new ECU. An immobilizer, as far as I know, just prevents the bike from being started without the transponder in the key present (to prevent hot wiring or rolling starts). I've never heard of an OEM immobilizer that makes a change to the programming of the ECU. I'm not an expert though, so I'm watching this thread to see if I can learn something.
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 04.24 pm by NineseveN

  • Offline Sylwek   gb

    • Z900 Member  ‐    11
    • **
      #5

    Offline Sylwek

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 11
    • Country: gb
    • Town / City: London
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2022, 06.26 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 06.26 pm
    *Originally Posted by Sylwek [+]
    In this case, new steering lock with new keys and swap immobilizer device from key fob to the new key. 

    Maverick,  I also think that steering lock is a mechanical device but Kawasaki Greenham told me that to change steering lock  and get new keys I have to change also ECU - this is weird, there should be just the immo aerial wiring.


    Also  Kawasaki ECU can be programmed up to 5 keys or 5 times only, for example if you loose key. Every time when adding new key, all keys which you have, must be present to change/reprograming data. 
    Based on 2020 model year.   
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 06.50 pm by Sylwek

  • Offline porkchop   us

    • Z900 Master  ‐    655
    • ****
      #6

    Offline porkchop

    • Z900 Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 655
    • Country: us
    • Bike: 2019
    • Town / City: Central NY
    Re: Bike got stolen
    Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2022, 06.51 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 06.51 pm
    *Originally Posted by NineseveN [+]
    I've never heard of an OEM immobilizer that makes a change to the programming of the ECU. I'm not an expert though, so I'm watching this thread to see if I can learn something.

    A first theft coming huh??
    Me too  :008:  :028:
    "The ride is the reason"

     



    rockbound