Author Topic: First Service  (Read 496 times)

• Offline NHudson1994   us

• Z900 Junior Member  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline NHudson1994

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: Charlotte NC
    First Service
    on: Aug 09, 2022, 11.24 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 11.24 pm
    I searched the forum and couldn’t really get a definite answer. My question is, my dealer when I had my Z800 told me to use the Kawasaki semi-synthetic oil at the 600 break in service. Is this true? I read some people saying they went straight to full synthetic at the first service. My dealer told me there is a possibility of the bike burning oil past the rings if I were to use full synthetic at the 600 service and to wait until the 2nd service to switch. Any truth to this?

• Offline mininsx   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    244

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
    • Town / City: Central Kentucky
    Re: First Service
    Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2022, 11.37 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 11.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by NHudson1994 [+]
    I searched the forum and couldn’t really get a definite answer. My question is, my dealer when I had my Z800 told me to use the Kawasaki semi-synthetic oil at the 600 break in service. Is this true? I read some people saying they went straight to full synthetic at the first service. My dealer told me there is a possibility of the bike burning oil past the rings if I were to use full synthetic at the 600 service and to wait until the 2nd service to switch. Any truth to this?
    [/quote

In a word, no.

• Offline KellyL   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    254

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
    Re: First Service
    Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2022, 01.30 am
    Aug 10, 2022, 01.30 am
    *Originally Posted by NHudson1994 [+]
    Yes and no. Regardless there's no danger to using mineral oil of correct rating if you change it at the right interval, nor likely any real benefit with going full synth for regular street riding. And to be fair, the 'synthetic' stuff that most people use is more like semisynth blend, like Motul 5100. So IMHO it's six of one, and half dozen of another. And putting full race synth like Motul 300V Factory Line for street is a real waste. 300V actually has a shorter life than 7100 full synth, as it's meant for frequent changes in race motors and has no detergents.
    Last Edit: Aug 10, 2022, 01.36 am by KellyL