Author Topic: Novice rider error or gear issue?  (Read 2375 times)

• Online ibnsneju   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    23
    • Topic Author

Online ibnsneju

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: Altanta
    Novice rider error or gear issue?
    on: Aug 12, 2022, 12.19 am
    Aug 12, 2022, 12.19 am
    Hey folks,

I have a 2022 Z900 with about 850 miles on it, oil changed at 550 miles. Occasionally, when I'm at WOT from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th, I'll attempt to clutchless shift up at around 9->10k rpm, it'll hit the gear (or miss it and the go back down immediately) for a few seconds then goes back down to the previous gear I was just in.

I always think I'm lifting the shift lever hard enough, but then again my focus tends to be more so allocated in front of me and the rpm range when I'm really gunning it.

Is my timing just off? baby shifting it? My main concern is distinguishing between a fault of mine or some issue with the bike. Shifting with the clutch is smooth but of course the quickness of the clutch-less method makes me lean on that more on harder accelerations.

This of course does not happen consistently nor most of the time, and when this isnt happening, the clutchless shifts are really smooth.

• Offline mininsx   us

• Z900 Pro  ‐    244

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
    • Town / City: Central Kentucky
    Re: Novice rider error or gear issue?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2022, 08.32 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 08.32 pm
    I'll say what everyone else may be thinking: why? Why are you abusing a brand new bike like this? Go buy a quick shifter if this is how you're going to ride.

• Online ibnsneju   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    23
    • Topic Author

Online ibnsneju

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2022, 08.43 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 08.43 pm
    I do plan on the quick shifter route for sure, I just wanted to figure this dilemma out. I'm currently leaning on the fact that my shift lever isn't optimally positioned which causes me to need to use more force, as I've been riding all morning with a specific focus on that and hadn't had an issue yet.

To your latter question; I don't mean to abuse it, but I'm of course going to try to squeeze out all of its fun  :082:

• Offline superpig   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    460

Offline superpig

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Yorkshire
    Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2022, 08.47 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 08.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by mininsx [+]
    I'll say what everyone else may be thinking: why? Why are you abusing a brand new bike like this? Go buy a quick shifter if this is how you're going to ride.

:762:
    ZXR400 / ZX6R / ZX10R / Z900

www.instagram.com/motomatt46

Devilishly fiery and combustable, strictly for masochists, the unhindged and those with reckless bravado.

• Offline MaverickAus   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    468

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2022, 10.18 am
    Aug 13, 2022, 10.18 am
    You sure won't get warranty WHEN the gearbox / clutch fails.

• Offline 3alfa3   hr

• Z900 Master  ‐    602

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Master
    • Bike: 2020 Z900
    • Town / City: Zagreb
    Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2022, 11.01 am
    Aug 13, 2022, 11.01 am
    *Originally Posted by ibnsneju [+]
    Is my timing just off?

Could be (engine is not released of the load when you shift).
    When done properly, its smooth, but quickshifter (adjusted properly) is much better for that, if you worry about longevity, shift with clutch.

It could be done for downshifting as well, but that is much (MUCH) more delicate and definitely no need for that on this bike. Btw, i always use clutch (with throttle blip for downshifting)
    Last Edit: Aug 13, 2022, 11.02 am by 3alfa3

• Online ibnsneju   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    23
    • Topic Author

Online ibnsneju

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2022, 06.17 pm
    Aug 13, 2022, 06.17 pm
    So I adjusted my shift lever as well as really focusing on pushing it up when shifting and the issue hasn't happened yet thankfully, though I may have positioned it a tad bit too low as now I catch neutral downshifting to first from second here and there.

Is clutchless shifting generally frowned upon on the upper end of the rpm range?

• Offline TonysMate   gb

• Z900 Member  ‐    10

Offline TonysMate

• Z900 Member
    • Town / City: Faringdon
    Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2022, 10.25 pm
    Aug 13, 2022, 10.25 pm
    It is a real shame that Kawasaki didn't fit a quickshifter to the Z900 - it's crying out for it.  They did a really good job with the Gen 5 ZX-10R - upshifts on that, at almost any revs and throttle openings, were smoother than I could ever manage using the clutch.  At least it should be offered as an option (or maybe it is, and I've missed it) - are you listening, Big K?

Meanwhile, I'll carry on using the "half-clutch" technique that I've found worked well on earlier Kawasakis.  Though because the clutch action is so light it does take a bit of practice.

In answer to ibnsneju's last query, I don't think it's a matter of rpm range, more a question of technique.  But personally I never use clutchless shifts without the aid of a quickshifter, because I'm never going to be as accurate to the nearest millisecond as a properly set up one.

• Offline Bentham   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    118

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Bristol
    Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2022, 11.58 am
    Aug 15, 2022, 11.58 am
    some interesting comments here.

Is clutchless shifting abusing the gearbox???

I've used clutchless upshifts on most rides on all my jap 4 cylinder bikes since the early 90s (except the 1st to 2nd change)
    All a quick shifter does is mimic the quick closed throttle action you use on a clutchless shift by cutting the ignition momentarily. The action on the gear cogs I understood is just the same.
    I've done plenty of miles & never had any worn gears develop as a result.
    When travelling in traffic then I'll use the clutch but on accelerating any distance I'll clutchless upshift .
    Even the shaft drive yamaha I ride as a blood biker is smooth on clutchless shifting.
    With the BMW twins it's different, that's very clunky so I use the clutch all the time.

The gear ratio difference is largest from 1st to 2nd and you are passing through neutral so that's why I dont do it in the lower gears.

• Offline MaverickAus   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    468

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2022, 12.23 pm
    Aug 15, 2022, 12.23 pm
    I can't speak from my own experience however I have read about gearbox failures on other bikes retro fitted with a quickshift. I'll stick to using the clutch, after all I don't race the bike so the extra 1/10th of a second (or less) to shift gear using the clutch doesn't bother me.

rockbound