Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Wiltshire
    Re: K&N
    Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2022, 07.41 am
    Sep 15, 2022, 07.41 am
    Don’t bother, no benefit for having it.
    Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
    : a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

• Offline Vicky_Z900   in

• Z900 Junior Member  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Vicky_Z900

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Kawasaki Z900
    • Town / City: Chennai
    Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2022, 08.49 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 08.49 pm
    Approx .3 bhp gain at the wheel.. surely better suction and better breathing by the bike… see the link with dyno run…

• Offline Led Zed 70   us

• Z900 Master  ‐    926

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
    • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
    • Town / City: Round Rock
    Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2022, 10.31 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 10.31 pm
    *Originally Posted by Vicky_Z900 [+]
    Approx .3 bhp gain at the wheel.. surely better suction and better breathing by the bike… see the link with dyno run…

That’s not a Z900. I was told the way the bikes intake is on the Z there’s no real gain coming from a tuner. I changed my oem filter out and it really had nothing on it at 7500 miles give or take. Also saw a video of a aftermarket filter for the Z was not sitting as tight as oem and letting dust get by it. Tolerance wasn’t exactly like oem. Can’t remember if it was K&N or another popular aftermarket brand.

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    3172

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2022, 10.50 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 10.50 pm
    *Originally Posted by Vicky_Z900 [+]

Well for starters, is something that gives 0.3 of 1 bhp really worth it? You’re never going to be able to tell that small of a power difference, so I’d say no. Second, and perhaps the more important thing here, that’s not a Z900. Can aftermarket air filters allow a higher volume of air to pass through them? Yes, but the bike has to be able to put more air through it. Due to the design of the airbox on the Z, it doesn’t matter what air filter you fit, you won’t get more air in without modifying the airbox, so an aftermarket air filter isn’t going to get more air into the system regardless of how well it flows air.

Then there’s the argument for cost. The service manual calls for the air filter to be changed every 7,500 miles, but if you check the filter after that distance, you’ll see that you can get a lot more miles out of it before it needs replacing. So to ‘save’ money, you’d have to keep the bike for at least 60-70k miles before you see a return from a ‘performance’ air filter. Add in the cost of servicing kits for the K&N and it’ll take even longer to see a return and I haven’t even touched on the argument of an oily air filter attracting more dirt yet.

Save your money, it really isn’t worth it. If you feel compelled to do something, take a chisel to the OEM filter and remove the metal mesh. Exactly what a myself and others on here have done and it’s free.
    : a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

• Online Gloff   au

Online Gloff

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Town / City: Kempsey
    Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2022, 11.54 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 11.54 pm
    IMO .. 1 hp gain is still a gain ,  and  if ur in rural area it  is way more dusty and require more frequent cleaning  ... i say yes ,  do it.

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    3172

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2022, 06.46 am
    Sep 16, 2022, 06.46 am
    *Originally Posted by Gloff [+]
    IMO .. 1 hp gain is still a gain ,  and  if ur in rural area it  is way more dusty and require more frequent cleaning  ... i say yes ,  do it.

But it’s not a 1bhp gain. According to the above, it’s a 0.3bhp gain and that’s for a different bike. For the Z, it achieves nothing. Have a look at the P3 tuning thread on here. They’ve tuned a few Z’s (including mine). They did one on the dyno for a custom tune with full exhaust, air filter etc, then Bart had his done by postal flash from them, but later took it in and had it on their dyno. He’s got a full exhaust but kept the OEM filter and his made more power than the custom tune with an aftermarket filter. It really isn’t worth it for this bike.

• Offline KellyL   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    250

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2022, 07.58 am
    Sep 16, 2022, 07.58 am
    You might get 1 horsepower, but you will also get crud into your combustion chamber and a contaminated MAF sensor if you don't remove the tank and clean + re-oil it every second ride  :027:

Plenty of K&N tests out there, Project Farm is one of several that show heaps of particulates getting through a K&N. They're meant for track use, when the bike gets serviced every session, and not ideal for street.
    Last Edit: Sep 16, 2022, 08.01 am by KellyL

• Online Gloff   au

Online Gloff

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Town / City: Kempsey
    Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2022, 09.11 am
    Sep 16, 2022, 09.11 am
    Yeh .. after watching Brock's 30+ minute youtube dyno  session , almost no gain with hi flow filter alone , and 2 or 3 hp with full full system and dyno tune. So yeh hardly worth it .. first time ive been wrong bought anything , lol.
    I  just purchased my z900 couple days ago. 2018 model with 12000k on it. .. Good bike ..Cool site .. Thx for the info.

• Offline superpig   gb

• Z900 Pro  ‐    460

Offline superpig

• Z900 Pro
    • Town / City: Yorkshire
    Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2022, 09.22 am
    Sep 16, 2022, 09.22 am
    0.3hp between dyno runs probably means a mouse farted in the room and changed the temperature of the air by a fraction.
    Bit of a waste of time really.

But if you want a K&N sticker then why not.  :821:
    ZXR400 / ZX6R / ZX10R / Z900

www.instagram.com/motomatt46

Devilishly fiery and combustable, strictly for masochists, the unhindged and those with reckless bravado.

rockbound