Author Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.  (Read 2847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Dragor69   gb

    • Z900 Junior Member  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Dragor69

    • Z900 Junior Member
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: z900
    • Town / City: Yeovil
    • Country: gb
    Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    on: Feb 25, 2023, 06.27 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 06.27 pm
    Loving my new Z900. I upgraded from a 1995 CBR600.

    I noticed something different from my old bike which is that in 1st and 2nd gear the bike wants to accelerate without throttle. In 2nd it will go to 20mp/h with no throttle easily. I'm putting it down to how much torque the bike has plus fuel injection but I just want to check with you guys.

    Is this normal does the throttle cable need adjusting?

    Thanks

  • Offline Zaniac948   us

    • Z900 Member  ‐    45
    • **
      #1

    Offline Zaniac948

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 45
    • Country: us
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06.53 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 06.53 pm
    Interesting! Your throttle should have some slight freeplay. 2mm(?) or so. A good check is to start the bike and then carefully turn the bars from lock to lock. If everything is okay it won't rev up. My throttle was a little "looser" than I cared for so I adjusted it to have minimal freeplay.

  • Offline echo948   us

    • Z900 Member  ‐    86
    • **
      #2

    Offline echo948

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 86
    • Bike: 2019 Z900
    • Town / City: Charleston, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06.55 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 06.55 pm
    If you hold the clutch all the way in, do the revs remain constant or do they start climbing?

  • Offline Dragor69   gb

    • Z900 Junior Member  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Dragor69

    • Z900 Junior Member
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: z900
    • Town / City: Yeovil
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06.56 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 06.56 pm
    Ill check tomorrow but with clutch in from memory the revs didn't rise nor did I notice anything untoward.

  • Offline Dragor69   gb

    • Z900 Junior Member  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline Dragor69

    • Z900 Junior Member
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: z900
    • Town / City: Yeovil
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06.58 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 06.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by Zaniac948 [+]
    Interesting! Your throttle should have some slight freeplay. 2mm(?) or so. A good check is to start the bike and then carefully turn the bars from lock to lock. If everything is okay it won't rev up. My throttle was a little "looser" than I cared for so I adjusted it to have minimal freeplay.

    I check this in the morning. Thanks

  • Offline Axl   us

    • Z900 Member  ‐    48
    • **
      #5

    Offline Axl

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 48
    • Bike: Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Maryland
    • Country: us
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2023, 07.45 pm
    Feb 25, 2023, 07.45 pm
    When the bike is cold it's in "high idle" mode till it warms up.  That's more than likely whats going on.  Does it only happen when the bike isn't up to full temp?

    On a cold start you can roll the throttle forward to drop the rpms so it doesn't clunk as bad shifting into first gear.
    Last Edit: Feb 25, 2023, 07.46 pm by Axl

  • Offline MaverickAus   au

    • Z900 Master  ‐    628
    • ****
      #6

    Offline MaverickAus

    • Z900 Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 628
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    • Country: au
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2023, 07.58 am
    Feb 26, 2023, 07.58 am
    *Originally Posted by Axl [+]
    When the bike is cold it's in "high idle" mode till it warms up.  That's more than likely whats going on.  Does it only happen when the bike isn't up to full temp?

    On a cold start you can roll the throttle forward to drop the rpms so it doesn't clunk as bad shifting into first gear.

     :0461: :460: :762:

  • Offline Dragor69   gb

    • Z900 Junior Member  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline Dragor69

    • Z900 Junior Member
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: z900
    • Town / City: Yeovil
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2023, 12.16 pm
    Feb 26, 2023, 12.16 pm
    Thanks for the replies.

    To wrap up the thread.

    1. Moving the bars did not increase RPM
    2. RPM was steady in neutral.
    3. I took her for a short ride of 30 mins to warm up. On return I found that in second gear the biking was maintaining 8mp/h with no throttle input instead of the original 20mp/h. I was also able to roll back the throttle to decrease speed.

    I believe this all looks normal and the issue I thought i had was caused by the bike being cold.

     

  • Offline Axl   us

    • Z900 Member  ‐    48
    • **
      #8

    Offline Axl

    • Z900 Member
    • **
    • Posts: 48
    • Bike: Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Maryland
    • Country: us
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2023, 12.44 pm
    Feb 26, 2023, 12.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by Dragor69 [+]
    Thanks for the replies.

    To wrap up the thread.

    1. Moving the bars did not increase RPM
    2. RPM was steady in neutral.
    3. I took her for a short ride of 30 mins to warm up. On return I found that in second gear the biking was maintaining 8mp/h with no throttle input instead of the original 20mp/h. I was also able to roll back the throttle to decrease speed.

    I believe this all looks normal and the issue I thought i had was caused by the bike being cold.


    Awesome, thanks for following up.   :062:

  • Offline Cazzy_R   england

    • Z900 God  ‐    3217
    • *****
      #9

    Offline Cazzy_R

    • Z900 God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3217
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
    • Country: england
    Re: Bike Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear with no throttle.
    Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2023, 04.10 pm
    Feb 26, 2023, 04.10 pm
     I do love a happy ending.  :082: