Author 3100 mile Western US Desert and Mountains Trip  (Read 2541 times)

• Offline Abner   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    54

Offline Abner

• Z900 Member
    • Bike: 2023 Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Vero Beach FL
    Re: 3100 mile Western US Desert and Mountains Trip
    Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2023, 07.49 pm
    Jun 11, 2023, 07.49 pm
    I really like your saddle bags. Did you have to use some side mount support, or do they just hang there and not interfere with the back wheel. I want to go out west, but will trailer the bike(s) there and then would use the Z900 to do days trips from a local campground and camp at several other places in a tent.

Right now I just have the Z900 ABS, but I want to get a dual-sport motorcycle and an enclosed trailer with Air Conditioning that I can also sleep in.

I know that I can buy a toy hauler, but they get really expensive, and I have a friend that made his own camper from an enclosed trailer and he did a great job. He added the A/C, a TV, slide-down beds a small desk for his laptop and all kinds of lights. I rather go that route than buy a toy hauler which would be more expensive and much heavier requiring a larger SUV to tow it.

• Offline Red5   us

• Z900 Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline Red5

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Re: 3100 mile Western US Desert and Mountains Trip
    Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2023, 04.19 am
    Jun 12, 2023, 04.19 am
    Those Cortech 2.0 Saddlebags are just ok, to be honest. They do not have a support arm, but simply hang over the seat. I bought them for the trip. Look up reviews on YouTube, and you'll see that even with the protective cover on they leak in heavy rain. I learned this from experience. I was traveling very light, t-shirts and change of clothes only so not that big of a deal for me because everything dried quickly, but still needed to spread clothes out in the hotel room to dry them.

I think the SW Motech Pro Blaze Saddlebags are the best for the z900, but if you have a model with the helmet lock, as my 2022 (and perhaps 2021?) does, the Pro Blaze bags, which do include a bracket and support arm, will not fit the bike. They are twice the price of the Cortech bags. I would have preferred the SW Motech but the helmet lock did not leave me with much choice. Tried a Kriega 30L tail bag too but found it tricky to mount the back end of it securely. A more resourceful spatial thinker than I might not have that issue.
    Last Edit: Jun 12, 2023, 04.21 am by Red5

rockbound