Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips - Anyone have any recommendations?  (Read 3060 times)

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
Re: Heated grips - Anyone have any recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »

Offline Mic

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Pulborough
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
Get heated gloves instead

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mic [+]
Get heated gloves instead

Heated gloves could be good for certain conditions and when spirited riding is not involved. But if you want to use your thinnest and tightest summer leather gloves in colder temperatures heated grips are a must. Also, in the summer it can be chilly (at least where I live) especially in the morning or evening, but heated gloves would be overkill and could not be used during the day when it's warmer.

Offline TCTTR

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 & Z125
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
An un-asked for vote from me for heated grips. They work with any gloves - more versatility than a single pair. Nothing to plug-in or recharge. Least fussy, most versatile option.

But, to each their own. We all have our own experience and needs.
TRUCK DRIVER: Oh my God! What happened? JIM THE GOOSE: I don't know, man, I just got here myself!

Offline Clown900

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Sydney
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
Does anyone know if any of the Kawasaki Genuine ones can plug in?
Like the versys or ninja 1000 etc?
If not, i'd probably go Oxford heated grips
Thanks

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
I've just purchased Oxford Advanced Sports heated grips. Hope to get them installed this week. Hopefully will do the job as i only do in town commuting, no motorways.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
I've just purchased Oxford Advanced Sports heated grips. Hope to get them installed this week. Hopefully will do the job as i only do in town commuting, no motorways.

You will not regret getting them. It's only the fingertips that can get cold sometimes. Heated grips heat the whole body, not just hands, your blood does not get colder in the hands that is what normally happens.

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
You will not regret getting them. It's only the fingertips that can get cold sometimes. Heated grips heat the whole body, not just hands, your blood does not get colder in the hands that is what normally happens.
I hope you are right! What worries me is that it's specifically my fingertips that get cold

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
I hope you are right! What worries me is that it's specifically my fingertips that get cold

Heated grips do mitigate this issue, but do not completely solve it when it's really cold. I'm thinking of some kind of extra insulation to the fingertips / conducting the heat to the fingertips from the areas touching the grip -solution. What is needed (in addition to more insulation in the tips) is thermal radiation reflecting material not touching the skin to the outer parts of the glove (but not in the palm side) and some heat conducting material to the inner parts of the glove. Tin foil (and space blanket) and metal wire (like Kanthal, without current) come into mind, but tin foil at least is too weak (so maybe space blanket material is better) and Kanthal I have not yet tested how durable it is or how much it conducts heat. This solution would be kind of similar to the heated gloves, but without need for electricity in the gloves.

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

• Z900 Pro
  • OneOfTheNobodies
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 03:40:39 PM »
Tied to install oxford heated grips today but when I took the old grips off the throttle there was no way for the throttle to be turned .. :187: the plastic bit that turns the throttle was fixed to the old grips so I stopped and tomorrow I got to get a mechanic to fix it ... my grips are Rizoma and not stock so dont know if that is the diffrence but if I put on the new grips there was no way for the plastic to connect to the otner plastic operating the throttle  :187: wierd ! ... also I noticed a lot of rust under the throttle side .. going to make sure the mechanic clean that up since it can make the throttle stick ..
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Tomok Mirrors - Rizoma Breaklever RRC - Rizoma Clutchlever RRC - Rizoma Grips Sportline - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma Barend weights - Rizoma Oile Cap - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro