Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing sprockets  (Read 12998 times)

Offline Rhyno54

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Sacramento, CA
Re: Changing sprockets
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
zed9 haven't demo'd the Z900 yet, but have watched a lot Boobtude videos of it. The issue with the throttle snatch on the first two model years was hit and miss some members reported no such issues some did. Suzuki did offer a ECU reflash at the dealers to smooth out the fueling, FTECU recently released an ECU reflash with a slip-on and air filter that fixed 70-75% of the fueling issues and really helped smooth it out making it have better manners with off and on throttle inputs. The research i did on it suggest it was the best alternative next to getting a PCV and dyno tuning it.

Make and model regarding a 190/55 rear tire fitting on the 5.5 inch rim definitely factors in, if the 16/44 causes it to lose some bottom end then obviously a 16/45 or 16/46 would be the best option to find a good middle ground

Offline Rhyno54

• Z900 Member
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
 :460: Thanks for the mention regarding Bandit's review of the Z9.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
I also have a ZRX1200 which is a torque monster. I expected the z900 to feel gutless next to it but that is not the case. The ZRX has torque everywhere, the z900 has torque almost everywhere by comparison. When the testers consider the z900 a torquey bike you can believe them.

I had mentioned that I went UP one tooth on my Versys 650 to calm it down on the highway, which it did plus it lengthened the amount of time before I had to shift from first to second. Yet even though the V was only 60 HP with something like 45 ft/lb of torque the difference between the fore and after, powerwise, wasn't noticeable at all.
So do the front first, if you need more then do the rear but I don't think you'll need to. And don't worry about the power, she's got it.

Offline Rhyno54

• Z900 Member
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
What's your take on this whole rear linkage recall regarding the Z9?

Offline Rhyno54

• Z900 Member
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I wouldn't think going to a 16t front would affect it that much, when i was on the Z1k forum members who went to a 16/43 instead of a 15/43 mentioned that the bike hadn't lost much of it's snap and said it should have been stock from the factory.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhyno54 [+]
I wouldn't think going to a 16t front would affect it that much, when i was on the Z1k forum members who went to a 16/43 instead of a 15/43 mentioned that the bike hadn't lost much of it's snap and said it should have been stock from the factory.
The Versys 650 members said the same thing including me. One up on the front equals three down in the back.

I would wait until this rear linkage problem is resolved. I hope they do it right, the z900 is a great bike.

Offline Rhyno54

• Z900 Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
I've heard noting but stellar reviews regarding the Z9 and do hope Kawi resolves the issue, they invested some time and effort in the concept and design of the bike. When I had my FZ8 some members reported similar issues with the rear linkage breaking, which to me seems that since that area is important not for just safety reasons why wouldn't manufacturers beef up that area in the first place

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhyno54 [+]
I've heard noting but stellar reviews regarding the Z9 and do hope Kawi resolves the issue, they invested some time and effort in the concept and design of the bike. When I had my FZ8 some members reported similar issues with the rear linkage breaking, which to me seems that since that area is important not for just safety reasons why wouldn't manufacturers beef up that area in the first place
I believe that in the race to make a lighter bike some parts are getting too thin. The bracket seems sturdy enough in compression where it would bottom out but when the suspension is extending and topping out the amount of steel around that bolt, apparently, is less than the bare minimum needed.

Who knows, maybe the reinforcing kit will make the bottom bracket even stronger than If the  bracket was properly built in the first place.

Offline JFS811

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Stanfield / NC
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
I just ordered a 520 chain and sprocket kit for the bike. Going with a 16/43 setup to see how it handles the change in gearing.
Jay - 2017 Z900

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by SNAFU [+]
I just picked up a 16t front sprocket, will do the change tonight. Figured going up 1 in the front should be close to where I want it, and I can tweak it by going down  in the rear if needed.

Used the gearingcommander.com app to help figure out what I wanted to do.

I found the stock setup was quit short and I had to shift quite quickly in the first three gears.
Snafu, what type of change did the 16T make?