Author Shell engine oil  (Read 3515 times)

• Offline Dream   my

• Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • Topic Author

Offline Dream

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: Borneo
    Shell engine oil
    on: Feb 02, 2024, 10.54 am
    Feb 02, 2024, 10.54 am
    Anyone ever use Shell Advance Long Ride 10w40? Is it a good oil? My bike sees 102 Celsius quite often, will this oil hold up well enough?

• Offline mADmAN   my

• Z900 Pro  ‐    197

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
    • Town / City: Petaling Jaya
    Re: Shell engine oil
    Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2024, 03.59 am
    Feb 03, 2024, 03.59 am
    Malaysian eh? Not sure if they have the long ride in other countries though

Never used the long ride but ive been using the red bottle instead n change every 5k km.

They r surprisingly good...engine is smooth...shifting is smooth n on long day rides (think 700+km) they hold up really well..

Coming into my 4th set for these soon

• Offline Dream   my

• Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • Topic Author

Offline Dream

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11.49 am
    Feb 03, 2024, 11.49 am
    Hi Madman, yeah I'm Malaysian. By red bottle you mean the shell advance power 15w50? If it is, I was also looking at it initially but being 15w50 I'm not sure if it will be too thick?

• Offline mADmAN   my

• Z900 Pro  ‐    197

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2024, 12.05 pm
    Feb 03, 2024, 12.05 pm
    yeah the 15w50 fully syn

its not too thick la... our bikes have more than enough power to push that oil... and honestly, i didnt feel a diff in power at all when switching to the thicker oil. bike still pulls like normal anytime n everytime i want it to.

diff in smoothness from switching from the previous brand (which i forgot the name, not so common here in malaysia), yes definitely better with the shell hence gonna stick to it and the shell station near my house has continuous promos for these oils so it definitely keeps the costs down.

besides, thicker oil supposedly protects better... if it really did take up power, i dont mind exchanging that lil bit of power loss for better protection.

just make sure to use original oil filters or reputable brand oil filters...ive only uses original kawasaki n vesrah.

never ever use grade A or AA or AAA or AAAAAAAAAA crap. ori only.

• Offline Dream   my

• Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • Topic Author

Offline Dream

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02.22 pm
    Feb 03, 2024, 02.22 pm
    Dealer told me to use either 10w40 or 10w50 hence I'm thinking twice to go with the 15w50. Having your review I'm seriously considering to go with the 15w50. I don't ride it hard most of the time. I'm really considering going with the 50 mainly because I often see the temperature goes up to 102 celcius when in the traffic and when I pull in to my garage after riding.

Yeah, I'm using original kawasaki oil filter.

You mentioned changing your oil at 5000kms. How bout by months? Cause I only ride over weekend. My current motul 5100 10w40 has just done 1500kms in 3 months. Should I change it?
    Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 02.24 pm by Dream

• Offline mADmAN   my

• Z900 Pro  ‐    197

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2024, 02.34 pm
    Feb 03, 2024, 02.34 pm
    No harm in trying the oil to see if u like it. Its cheap enough to try...same goes for the long ride.

The oil in my engine has been in there for......errr....eeerrrrr......dunno how many months i cant remember lol.....mebbe 5-6? Not sure but by mileage ive got another 2k km to go which i will stick to n i dont ride the bike that often as i also have a versys 1000...i rotate between the 2 bikes n i dont leave my hse very often on the bikes so the oil will be in there a few more months i think.

Up to u to change or not...this one is recommended to change by x amount of months...but i usually stick to mileage only as its easier for me to keep track. If ur bike is still under warranty, just follow what the book says n get the chop in the book to try n maintain that warranty

N yes, the v1k uses the shell 15w50 as well.
    Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 02.35 pm by mADmAN

• Offline KellyL   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    285

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2024, 01.43 am
    Feb 04, 2024, 01.43 am
    It's perfectly fine to use a higher viscosity oil such as 15W-50 or 20W-50 in warmer climates (such as Malaysia) where it never drops below 0 celcius. If you look in the owner's manual it will show a graph that indicates 10W-40 as covering -10 to 40 deg C climates, and 20W-50 as covering 0 to >40 deg C climates.

• Offline Dream   my

• Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • Topic Author

Offline Dream

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2024, 10.50 am
    Feb 08, 2024, 10.50 am
    *Originally Posted by mADmAN [+]
    No harm in trying the oil to see if u like it. Its cheap enough to try...same goes for the long ride.

The oil in my engine has been in there for......errr....eeerrrrr......dunno how many months i cant remember lol.....mebbe 5-6? Not sure but by mileage ive got another 2k km to go which i will stick to n i dont ride the bike that often as i also have a versys 1000...i rotate between the 2 bikes n i dont leave my hse very often on the bikes so the oil will be in there a few more months i think.

Up to u to change or not...this one is recommended to change by x amount of months...but i usually stick to mileage only as its easier for me to keep track. If ur bike is still under warranty, just follow what the book says n get the chop in the book to try n maintain that warranty

N yes, the v1k uses the shell 15w50 as well.

I went with the advance power 15w50 and all is good. But when I drain the old oil I noticed it smells like petrol. Is that normal? I didn't noticed any increase in oil level and the old well seems to retain it's viscosity.
    Last Edit: Feb 08, 2024, 10.53 am by Dream

• Offline mADmAN   my

• Z900 Pro  ‐    197

Offline mADmAN

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2024, 03.41 am
    Feb 09, 2024, 03.41 am
    That, i have no idea...but i googled n it seems common n one of the reasons is rich fuelling.

N since stock z900s run rich from factory, at least the v1, im guessing that might be the cause?

My woolich tune is actually quite rich..but ive never smelled petrol  when i drain the oil though

• Offline Dream   my

• Z900 Member  ‐    60
    • Topic Author

Offline Dream

• Z900 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2024, 04.57 am
    Feb 09, 2024, 04.57 am
    The smell isn't as pungent as like at the petrol station. I picked up the smell when I put my nose to it.

Yeah, I've read from some forum that the v1 came with rich afr. But nothing about the afr on the v2 yet.

Thanks a lot for recommending the advance power 15w50. It felt great.i didn't wring it out yet but as far as short test ride goes it felt smooth.