Author Topic: Ventura rack - l bracket mounting  (Read 9493 times)

• Offline Poida   au

• Z900 Junior Member  ‐    4

Offline Poida

• Z900 Junior Member
    • Town / City: Canberra
    Re: Ventura rack - l bracket mounting
    Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2022, 07.55 am
    Apr 15, 2022, 07.55 am
    *Originally Posted by dave_bullet [+]
    Using the tail plate mounting position would interfere with aftermarket tail tidy options I suppose... so staying well clear means you can tail tidy how you like.

I planned today to fit my tail tidy and ventura rack on my 22, but I am.l missing the mounting brackets. So I went ahead with the tail tidy. I actually think the tail tidy is not going to work with rack. I think the indicators will be in the way. So once I can get the missing pieces, I will fit the rack and see whether it interfers with the tail tidy.

• Offline TonysMate   gb

• Z900 Member  ‐    10

Offline TonysMate

• Z900 Member
    • Town / City: Faringdon
    Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2022, 10.14 pm
    Apr 16, 2022, 10.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by Modene [+]
    Givi makes a rack , no drilling just unplug rear tail light remove  mount & plug tail light back .I'll take photo asap.

True, but it's a bit of a faff.

I've just done it on my 2021 model, and I ended up glueing/double sided taping the bits together to help get it all reassembled.  Even then, it was tricky making sure that the wiring for the indicators and rear number plate lamp wasn't trapped.  The instructions completely ignore the need to lower the undertray and remove the cowling in order to disconnect and re-thread the wiring.  Definitely not a job for the faint-hearted.

Also, I'm not convinced about the strength of the 4xM6 mounting bolts fastened into the plastic tail unit which will need to support the cantilevered weight of a topbox on the carrier.  I've used Givi stuff on quite a few bikes, but I don't think this is one of their best efforts.

• Offline Poida   au

Offline Poida

• Z900 Junior Member
    Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06.41 am
    Apr 20, 2022, 06.41 am
    Rack is now fitted. I used this thread as reference. It was a big help.

The tail tidy didn't fit with the rack. I need to carry a bag more than I need to worry about the looks of the bike from behind.

Big shout out to Kenma and ventura for working together in sending the brackets to me in short time. Left NZ yesterday and arrived in less than 24 hours.

They were both fantastic and super helpful.

• Online 3alfa3   hr

• Z900 Master  ‐    599

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Master
    • Bike: 2020 Z900
    • Town / City: Zagreb
    Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2022, 07.52 am
    Apr 20, 2022, 07.52 am
    *Originally Posted by TonysMate [+]
    True, but it's a bit of a faff.

I've just done it on my 2021 model, and I ended up glueing/double sided taping the bits together to help get it all reassembled.  Even then, it was tricky making sure that the wiring for the indicators and rear number plate lamp wasn't trapped.  The instructions completely ignore the need to lower the undertray and remove the cowling in order to disconnect and re-thread the wiring.  Definitely not a job for the faint-hearted.

Also, I'm not convinced about the strength of the 4xM6 mounting bolts fastened into the plastic tail unit which will need to support the cantilevered weight of a topbox on the carrier.  I've used Givi stuff on quite a few bikes, but I don't think this is one of their best efforts.

It's not fastened into plastic, just goes thru plastic.  It is fastened on bike frame. Or did you mean adapter plate for Case? Don't see a problem with it being plastic - Case is plastic also and much weaker than plate.

I use it rarely on my 2020 Z900 so its not on the bike all the time: 5 min job to put it on the bike (4 bolts) when needed.

Last Edit: Apr 20, 2022, 08.00 am by 3alfa3

• Offline zed9   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    4591

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2022, 12.46 pm
    Apr 20, 2022, 12.46 pm
    The Givi rack is more appealing knowing it's only a five minute job to R/R it. It looks fugly when there's no box on it but when you need a box, who cares?

• Offline MaverickAus   au

• Z900 Pro  ‐    466

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    • Bike: 2021 Z900
    • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
    Reply #25 on: Aug 26, 2022, 10.59 pm
    Aug 26, 2022, 10.59 pm
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just got my Ventura setup and the template for the drilling holes was not included. Would anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance.

• Offline Poida   au

Offline Poida

• Z900 Junior Member
    Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2022, 06.55 am
    Aug 27, 2022, 06.55 am
    *Originally Posted by MaverickAus [+]
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just got my Ventura setup and the template for the drilling holes was not included. Would anyone have a copy? Thanks in advance.

I checked and I never kept a copy. You could always email the rhem and they might email you the template

• Z900 Pro  ‐    466

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2022, 05.58 am
    Aug 28, 2022, 05.58 am
    *Originally Posted by Poida [+]
    I checked and I never kept a copy. You could always email the rhem and they might email you the template

Thanks for the reply, I emailed them before posting above but being the weekend I didn't expect an answer quickly. As it turned out I didn't need the template after reading this excellent install guide Ventura should include a link rather than providing their shitty photocopied black and white crap photos. I mounted it all up ok but then found it won't fit with my pannier mounts  :013:

So now I have to decide if I want to use the panniers OR the Ventura rack and bag. Either way a big waste of money.

• Offline Poida   au

Offline Poida

• Z900 Junior Member
    Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2022, 07.55 am
    Aug 28, 2022, 07.55 am
    Sorry to hear it does all fit together.

Have to agree. The photos in the instructions are pretty bad and a lot of help. Thankfully this thread is very detailed, it helped heaps.

• Z900 Pro  ‐    466

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
    Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2022, 10.24 am
    Sep 11, 2022, 10.24 am
    Well it ended up to fit the Ventura rack I had to remove the paniers AND the tail tidy. All up a very expensive waste of money and very annoying.

With the mounting bars fitted the indicators were in the way (with tail tidy fitted)

Finished fitting (tail tidy removed)

Last Edit: Sep 11, 2022, 10.25 am by MaverickAus