Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Z today?  (Read 280000 times)

RobZ900 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: What did you do to your Z today?
Reply #2270 on: February 28, 2020, 01:35:52 AM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
Out of curiosity why didnt you  use their bi metal rear ?
Because the cost per weight ratio isn't worth it and it only comes in gold. This all steel (black) sprocket of their is pretty light...dare I say as light as I want to go based on how many miles I ride each month.
Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:36:27 AM by Frontline

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2271 on: February 28, 2020, 09:26:25 AM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
The RK chain they use has a tensile strength rated at 8,800 ft/lb...the EK I am using is 9,400 ft/lb. While both will be fine on the Z900, I intentionally opted for the higher tensile strength chain because its a thinner 520 version and figured it would hold up a little longer. Next winter?...at the rate I'm going I will probably be putting in fresh rings in the motor :112:

"ft/lb" ?
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #2272 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:38 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
"ft/lb" ?

The higher the lbs the greater the tensile strength. The higher the tensile strength the more for force require to stretch / break the chain. Over here it is rated in lbs ... not sure your about your side of the pond. A quality 520 conversion is stronger ( higher tensile strength) then the ave 525 chain.

Is that what you are asking or did I miss the boat?
2017 Z900

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2273 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:06 PM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
The higher the lbs the greater the tensile strength. The higher the tensile strength the more for force require to stretch / break the chain. Over here it is rated in lbs ... not sure your about your side of the pond. A quality 520 conversion is stronger ( higher tensile strength) then the ave 525 chain.

Is that what you are asking or did I miss the boat?

Lol.
Yeah I know what a lb is and a ft. I'm British, we invented them. 😁
I was just pulling Frontline's wire but I shouldn't have bothered. 🙄
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #2274 on: February 28, 2020, 04:06:34 PM
I have no idea when Ill need a new set of chain and sprockets. Bike is currently on about 14k miles and all seems good atm. I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but whats a realistic mileage expectation out of the stock setup?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2275 on: February 28, 2020, 04:27:05 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but whats a realistic mileage expectation out of the stock setup?
Depends how long is a piece or rope?  :001:

Honestly, its a variable with no numeric due to the many different variables on road condition, weather and most importantly, how often one cleans/lubes the chain. Which is why the manual states wear limit of 12.6 inch (@ 20). Bottom line, you change when it needs changing.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #2276 on: February 28, 2020, 05:07:50 PM
I guess Ill just measure it and see where it is. Once the weather here starts to improve, I plan on stripping the bike down anyway and giving it a really good clean to get rid of all the nasty crap that winter has thrown at the bike. Might as well do it then while Ive got the chain guard off.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #2277 on: February 28, 2020, 06:43:31 PM
I have no idea when Ill need a new set of chain and sprockets. Bike is currently on about 14k miles and all seems good atm. I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question, but whats a realistic mileage expectation out of the stock setup?
It depends on the quality of the factory chain...Sometimes they're made of butter and they don't last no matter how well maintained. On a good quality chain maintained and providing relatively easy riding you should get well over 20,000 miles. Hooliganism will reduce that number.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #2278 on: February 28, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
It depends on the quality of the factory chain...Sometimes they're made of butter and they don't last no matter how well maintained. On a good quality chain maintained and providing relatively easy riding you should get well over 20,000 miles. Hooliganism will reduce that number.

90% of my bikes use is for commuting, so no major hooliganism, just the odd blast up to triple digits before slowing back down to sensible speeds. I also clean and lube the chain every week and even put some more lube on mid week if its a particularly wet week. Always on the ball with chain slack too. As I say, currently on nearly 14k and dont see any reason to change atm. Will measure using the 20 link method in the manual when I strip the bike down for a spring clean. Interested to see how much its stretched.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #2279 on: February 28, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
90% of my bikes use is for commuting, so no major hooliganism, just the odd blast up to triple digits before slowing back down to sensible speeds. I also clean and lube the chain every week and even put some more lube on mid week if its a particularly wet week. Always on the ball with chain slack too. As I say, currently on nearly 14k and dont see any reason to change atm. Will measure using the 20 link method in the manual when I strip the bike down for a spring clean. Interested to see how much its stretched.
I have never measured a chain in my life though I understand the method. I just wait until it starts eating the o rings. When I see it happen the ride is done for the day and I order a new chain and sprockets.  If I'll be touring and the mileage is high on it, I'll change it out before the trip. Same with tires.
I typically get 23,000 miles, to the mile, out of a 530 chain. We'll see how this 525 goes. It's the first 525 I'll ever get up to that mileage.