Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Z today?  (Read 350339 times)

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Re: What did you do to your Z today?
Reply #2980 on: June 29, 2020, 04:12:03 PM
*Originally Posted by turbo_crispy [+]
I was curious if the Chinese ones have turned silver over time from the finish getting chipped off.  Revzilla is sold out at the moment.  Motovation has them in stock; they're just south in Austin so shipping should be relatively quick.  Or Amazon next day for a Chinese one. Actually i think i'll go with a legit one.  I had to send back the Chinese CRG bar end mirrors as they didn't fit right. 

From back in the day when I was in to RC cars, "buy cheap, buy twice".  That holds true for so much.

If it ever gets silver-ish.. just paint it black again lol. But yeah, cheap stuff isn't always the best option! I remember someone was putting Armorral stuff everywhere on his car. After 1-2 years all the plastics turned white-ish.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #2981 on: June 29, 2020, 04:15:35 PM
From back in the day when I was in to RC cars, "buy cheap, buy twice".  That holds true for so much.

Never a truer word spoken. You get what you pay for and sometimes its worth spending the extra for decent quality. I try to live by my own, self imposed mantra - never compromise but it tends to get a bit expensive lol.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline BartZ

• Z900 Member
Reply #2982 on: June 29, 2020, 04:30:31 PM
I was curious if the Chinese ones have turned silver over time from the finish getting chipped off.  Revzilla is sold out at the moment.  Motovation has them in stock; they're just south in Austin so shipping should be relatively quick.  Or Amazon next day for a Chinese one. Actually i think i'll go with a legit one.  I had to send back the Chinese CRG bar end mirrors as they didn't fit right. 

I have the Chinese Evotech knock off guard. The finish holds ok, no chipping or fading, but saying that I do not ride on rain or salty roads. I had it for about 2 years now the only thing I would say is that the rubber grommets lost black shine quite quickly, apart from that they are holding up ok.... for now. Overall at 50% of the original price I am happy, it does the job and prevents rad from damage.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2983 on: June 29, 2020, 05:04:42 PM
*Originally Posted by BartZ [+]
I have the Chinese Evotech knock off guard. The finish holds ok, no chipping or fading, but saying that I do not ride on rain or salty roads. I had it for about 2 years now the only thing I would say is that the rubber grommets lost black shine quite quickly, apart from that they are holding up ok.... for now. Overall at 50% of the original price I am happy, it does the job and prevents rad from damage.

I'm quite sure a lot of the knock offs come off the same production line as the real McCoy and are every bit as good as the genuine article.
 GB Racing covers for instance? I don't recall seeing R&G replica stuff on Aliexpress. Maybe they don't manufacture out of China and the tooling costs make it unprofitable for the Chinese?
 If it's not a safety related item I can't see what there is too lose if the knock off is cheap enough. So what if the paint chips? If stops your rad getting holed it's done its job.
 Brake levers and such like or anything that may cause damage to yourself, any other person, bike or engine like fake NGKs. Just say no.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: KLP
Reply #2984 on: June 29, 2020, 06:36:02 PM
I hate to admit, i'm looking at an Evotech knockoff rad guard.  Granted it's about $50 from Amazon, and $30 more for the original. We'll see. 

Can anyone with a black radiator guard chime in to how the finish is holding up?  Also state how long you've been using it.  Doesn't matter if it's premium brand or Chinese knockoff.  Finish durability may sway what i buy.

Ive got a china made knock off for a quite long time, its state just as a new.
Youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mzslave

Instagram: @mz900lt

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
  • "Crazy like a beaver I am!"
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #2985 on: June 29, 2020, 06:50:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Eni900 [+]
Please don't take this personal......but WHY WOULD YOU SPEND MONEY ON THAT??

I mean seriously, i got 11k km on my bike in less than a year, have installed quite a lot of crap on it and even with some octane booster in the fuel tank, i have never gotten close to a tank slapper risk, at most some mini wheelies.

So please enlighten me, what am i missing, what are the benefits of it being installed in a bike with such linear and smooth throttle response (expect the jerky part in the start)??  :084: :084:

Sorry, I'm a little late on my response. Busy day at the office. While it looks like fellow forum members have given some rationale for the damper, I'll go a little further to add the following:

- In my 20+ years of riding spread over 8 bikes now, this will be the 3rd that I've had a damper on and although it's most handy on the track (which I don't go to all THAT often), in my city, I've found having one extremely useful particularly the RSC as it creates a reactive damping to specifically manage whatever the wobble happens to be.

- I mentioned above "in my city." The majority of Toronto's roads have been in a declining state of repair over the years, potholes, bad rises from the seasonal changes and solidified cement dripping from trucks as well as all kinds of other damage now litter our roads and highways to the point of creating a great deal of risk for the rider. While you point out to "slow down" before hitting these situations, a lot of them you can't see coming as they visually blend with the surface of the road... furthermore, cutting your speed in heavy traffic when everyone is doing 120km/h+ is not always an option. Even acceleration out of a turn has caused some pretty severe jumps and wobbles with the steering (on every bike I've owned not just the Z), and before you mention adjusting my suspension, I've already set the front and rear to their optimal settings for my weight and I find in terms of suspension the handling is great. Now I suppose I could dump $1300 into ohlins front suspension and $1200 into the rear, but that seems counterproductive if I'm looking at alternatives to a $350 damper job.

- The other thing I've found, and again this is mainly where I live. On our highways once I'm up over 120km/h the crosswinds have progressed to such an aggressive state that the gusts were getting (usually 50-70 km/h gusts) create some pretty violent headshake on the steering if they're not a direct headwind or tailwind. Frankly, I'm not in my 20s/30s anymore so spending a few $ to make the ride a little more comfy for long trips and less of a pain booting around the city is worth it in my books.

So there you have it, this is my rationale that I've compiled based on over 100,000km of riding through my years.

Incidentally, I didn't actually take offense to how you positioned your message, I'm happy to explain things in great detail especially given that the guidelines for posting in this forum are to make posts that are helpful to fellow riders (in this case I hope I've "helped" you understand that different riders have different needs?

Lastly, keep in mind for future reference, when you type in all CAPS... It either comes across as accusatory screaming.... Or that someone's had too much to drink. 🤣

Enjoy your new wheels, safe riding! 👍

Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:52:18 PM by Mikerz900

Online jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: JEFFERSON CITY
Reply #2986 on: June 29, 2020, 08:21:36 PM
Haven't had a chance to install them yet but here's what's next for the Z. Should get them on tomorrow

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #2987 on: June 30, 2020, 03:45:06 AM
Did the hover bike conversion.   :305:

Added the Tech Spec tank pads/grips, and you can see the CRG mirrors.  I only had one mirror installed on the left side just to make sure it fit the Rhino bar ends, and I was surprised how much you could see behind you with just the left mirror. But OCD said I needed one on the right side. 

Offline Eni900

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Tirana
Reply #2988 on: June 30, 2020, 08:40:26 AM

So with the start of the summer i decided to swap tires even though my Pilot Power 2CT where still good. This time though i got kinda obsessed with having a 190/55 at the rear, just out curiosity on how the grip, lean angle and cold grip would change. Since i was going for a couple of trackdays (or at least 1  trackday) i decided to go for the PDRosso Corsa 2.

Nothing to say about the tire, its Pirelli the name speaks for itself and gotten them 300 euros a pair (mounting included) i guess that was a good deal.

As per the size, that where the action begins. No idea how many of you guys have bother putting a 190/55 at the bike your Z, but i decided to be the scapegoat for you all.

First things first, stability at minimal traffic speed (1st gear and playing the clutch) is awesome, that also translates into great grip from start and even on slipper tarmac its like it wont budge at all (tried putting some octane booster just to see how it goes, still the same effect).

And that is where the Pros end and the Cons start, you can immediately feel the added weight of that 190 on the gas lever at around 80-90 kmh and above where the bike tries to slow down even quicker . I went for a weekend trip and placed the Kaoko Cruiser at 120kmh like i always do to avoid to much wind noise and also able to hear the JBL speakers of my Cardo. Have done the same trip a lot and with same speeds and weight on the bike. Compared to 4.8-4.9 now i was up to 5-5.1L/100km, maybe not a lot but a noticable difference which went up to 5.2 the moment i got inside the city (with nearly no traffic at all)

Slow/Fast turn grips are offcourse an improvment (i have had Supercorsa SP V3 with 180/55 on them also and you cant make out the difference) , but thats where the issues start, no only is bike heavy in general but also heavier/slower to turn in and always tries to pull itself straight up the moment you hit the brakes or even let go the throttle (gently or harshly doesnt matter) . Maybe its not such a bad thing, but if you are playing a bit of M.Marquez on the autobahn and a car slips into your lane out of nowhere and its a long highspeed turn, its not a great feeling seeing yourself starting moving to the lane on your right while you simply wanna slow down and there is another car or truck waiting for you on that other lane.  :110:  :012:

On the pros of stability, i might say that the oversteer under hard braking while being slightly turned, its kinda totally gone.

Anyway, this is my opinion on the matter of the 190/55 tires, maybe the Corsa 2 are a bit to much for this size, maybe the 190/55 its to much for this bike, maaaaybe some less grippy  tires like my old Pilot Power 2CT on 190/55 would be different and not have so many Cons, but hey who am i to say, i got only 11k km on my bike and swaped tires 3 times till now  :157:

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2989 on: June 30, 2020, 12:45:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Eni900 [+]
but thats where the issues start, no only is bike heavy in general but also heavier/slower to turn in and always tries to pull itself straight up the moment you hit the brakes or even let go the throttle (gently or harshly doesnt matter) .
Ahhh yes, welcome to physics. Yea, this has always been my issue when people here would talk about moving to 190's. You are not the first to do this on the forum but you are the first to be honest and say it like it is.

Truth is, those that go to the larger 190's do it because of the "looks" so they justify having a MC that is slower to lean in (or ignore the negatives). Wish motorcycle tires specs were like MTB tires (especially XC tires)...lots of emphasis on tire weight. MTB tire manufacturers spend a lot of time cutting the weight of the tires because that can dramatically transform the handling (unless you only bomb DH). When I run light weight MTB tires (430g to 530g) I am much more flickable and faster in the technical trails (almost the only thing we have here).

Even though it would really suck for tire mileage, I would love to hear feedback on those that went with a 180/60 tire.