Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Z today?  (Read 509248 times)

OneOfTheNobodies, R04D and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: KLP
Re: What did you do to your Z today?
Reply #3820 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:41 AM
*Originally Posted by MaverickAus [+]
Prefer the Supersprox myself.

hehe indeed, black sprocket looks better  :062:

Youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mzslave

Instagram: @mz900lt

Offline PFEN

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: L'Est de PARIS
Reply #3821 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:34 AM
I wanted to buy a used license plate light in order to equip my Vagabond license plate holder but I messed up.
seller sent me new led light. I am disappointed .. :019:
If anyone has one; the bulb model .. for a Z900 .. I am a buyer

people might be wondering why I want to buy license plate light and turn signals. while you just have to disassemble them and then mount them on the new license plate holder. but I want to keep the original set. just unplug the cables. and remove the assembly with the screws under the saddle. a kind of 'plug and play'. i know its kinda silly .. to buy duplicate. :431:
 but it's my way of doing things.
always return to the origin with as little manipulation as possible   :158:

Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:22:01 AM by PFEN

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #3822 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:10 AM
Can you not just fit an adapter or crimp on the correct connector?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline PFEN

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: L'Est de PARIS
Reply #3823 on: January 19, 2021, 11:19:37 AM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Can you not just fit an adapter or crimp on the correct connector?

:182:
it is much easier to fit the original part  :015:
  :435:....  I hate cut cables  :016:

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #3824 on: January 19, 2021, 01:28:59 PM
*Originally Posted by BartZ [+]
Looking forward to end result. Did you check if there would be any issues with the MOT? They do look good, was the price the same as for the HID projectors, any import charges?

My kit came today and as RobZ900 said, there's a lot in the box lol.
I went for the HID kit as its a proven conversion whereas the LED kit Rob has purchased is an experimental kit, although I doubt there'll be any problems with it. I have also retrofitted HID projectors in a couple of my previous cars and my old Triumph Sprint so am aware of the issues regarding mounting the ballasts etc.

The kit uses H1 based bulbs so if there are any issues at MOT time I'll just fit some H1 halogens in for the day, although I've not had any problems with my previous conversions.

There were no import charges on my order.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #3825 on: January 19, 2021, 01:34:47 PM
That’s a fair point about the halogens, can’t fail it if they’re not fitted. When you planning on doing yours? Mine didn’t have the breather vents with it so I can’t make a start yet. Spoke to them yesterday and they asked if I was happy to accept grey vents rather than black as the black are still out of stock. Don’t know why they didn’t offer that to start with, but grey vents now in the post.

How are you planning to split the headlight? Watched a couple of videos and most people stick it in the oven at about 220F for about 15 minutes but retrofitlab said to heat the oven to 200C, then turn it off and stick the headlight in for 10-15 minutes. Bit if a difference in temperature there!
Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:35:32 PM by RobZ900
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #3826 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:18 PM
I've always heated the oven to 200 C then turned it off before putting the headlight in for max 15 minutes, and this has always worked for me. Keep the light away from the sides of the oven.

I've never needed to apply new sealant on reassembly, just put the 2 halves back together, place in a preheated oven again for about 10 mins to soften the sealant, then press together firmly and reattach the clips.

I'm hoping to get mine done in the next 2 or 3 weeks, depending on work commitments.
Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:12:50 PM by KawaJagz
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #3827 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:19 PM
Fair enough. Im not working at the minute, so should be able to make a start on mine once the vents arrive. Hopefully have it done in a week or so.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3828 on: January 19, 2021, 05:38:42 PM
Am I the only one that thinks projector headlights with a VERY sharp horizontal line is a bad idea for a motorcycle? I mean, in a car they are great but since motorcycles leans over in turns, it will create a very odd visual and dark areas in turns.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #3829 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:51 PM
I dont see how it would be any more of an issue than the mediocre light that halogens put out. Granted they have a small amount of light bleed at the top of the beam pattern, but its so dim that its not really doing a lot for distance. On the other hand, projectors create a bright flood of light that has a wider spread than the halogens, making it easier to see wildlife at the side of the road when its dark. Where I live thats a big win for me. Ive been following a Kickstarter project for a couple of years thats designing a projector that fits in motorcycle headlights but its on a gimbal so the light always stays level, no matter how much you lean. Still no word on a release date yet, but its about time that bike headlights were brought up to date. The newer bikes with lean angle sensitive cornering lights are a step in the right direction.

For an idea of what the sharp cutoff is like on a bike, have a look at simple Simons comparison video on youtube. He did the same run using the standard halogens, led bulbs in the reflector housing and the hid projectors and put up all 3 in the same shot. The projectors put the other options to shame.