Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High Idle On Cold Start  (Read 21027 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OKZ

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 630
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 03:48:53 AM
Good job Zed, I'll be doing the same when I get mine Saturday!  :821:


*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I went in and further sdjusted my Cold idle down a little more. Even though it was 65 degrees F when I started it it was still idling a little high. So this time I took a picture.
It is best to first watch how the mechanism works so you get a feel for what you are adjusting. (I had to anyways). You can watch it cycle by turning the ignition on then off again. Repeat.
The bike doesn't need to be running.

You can see it if you remove just the frame cover. It's the double nut with yellow paint spring thing. If you look real close on the enlarged picture you can see the original line I scored on the rod's flat surface. It moved up about 1/16 of an inch.

Anybody wanting to adjust as I have will need 10mm and 7mm IGNITION WRENCHES. A regular full size wrench won't fit.
Also, there is a flat spot on the rod. I suggest getting a sharp scratch-awl and scoring a line on the flat spot before you adjust so you can set it back to spec.
To lower idle...loosen the 7mm nut then turn the 10mm nut 'clockwise'. This lofts the rod away from the throttle linkage.
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 4297
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:17:25 AM
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
Good job Zed, I'll be doing the same when I get mine Saturday!  :821:
Alright, you must be stoked.
I don't know if I mentioned it but there is a two part plastic piece that must be removed as one. It is the black panel that covers the adjustment. And the tank cover does not have to come off completely, just remove one bolt (I think, can't remember) so that you can flex it enough to remove that two part cover.

Offline OKZ

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 630
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 11:41:26 AM
I am, and don't know why I'm so excited about the Z.  I've owned quite a few bikes over the years and this one really has me anxious, reminds of waiting to pick up the H2 after waiting months for it to arrive.

*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Alright, you must be stoked.
I don't know if I mentioned it but there is a two part plastic piece that must be removed as one. It is the black panel that covers the adjustment. And the tank cover does not have to come off completely, just remove one bolt (I think, can't remember) so that you can flex it enough to remove that two part cover.
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 4297
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 02:06:07 PM
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
I am, and don't know why I'm so excited about the Z.  I've owned quite a few bikes over the years and this one really has me anxious, reminds of waiting to pick up the H2 after waiting months for it to arrive.
I hear ya. To give you an idea..My favorite bike of all time is my ZRX1200R. I'm on my second one having made a mistake of selling my first with 50,000 miles on it. Though heavy and slow by today's standards I just couldn't get that bike out of my system. I won't ever sell my current ZRX.
So when I heard that Kawasaki was coming out with a z900 and seeing those artist conceptions of a supercharged retro bike I was stoked. But then pictures arrived of what Kawasaki had actually built, (what we have now), I freaking hated it. It looked like the transformer bug looking z1000. Hated it.
But for some reason it started working on me. Europe had them already and slowly but surely review videos started on YouTube. I watched every single one of them. Even the non English speaking reviews. Suddenly I was hooked and it was early in the year. Dealerships didn't have them yet and knew nothing about them. I could barely wait.
A few months ago when a local dealer finally had a couple on the showroom floor I went in and bought one. All my excitement was not for nothing. I find the bike is better than I expected.
You'll find it lacking power compared to your BMW but the liter class sport bikes today are animals. (No need to discuss the H2). The z9 is not. But for where I live the z9 has all I need. I've owned faster more powerful bikes but I don't miss them.
The z9 is a great bike with a lot of potential.
Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:07:55 PM by zed9

Offline OKZ

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 630
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:55:20 PM
That's good to hear, I'm willing to bet you and I are in the same place in life when it comes to bikes. Believe or not I only owned the H2 for about four months and only put a couple of thousand miles on it. It was an incredible motorcycle from an engineering standpoint, and man could it scoot. The motor was about as smooth as the Z9 and the power was amazing! The H2 was a bike that was extremely difficult difficult to ride at the speed limit, it just was so easy to jump 20 - 30 mph just thinking about it. But, the ergos just killed me at this point in my life, aging with a bad back made the H2 not compatible with me at all. That's when I decided to sell it and pick up the BMW S1000R. Much more comfortable and really was easy to ride, but the suspension was a bit hash considering it was BMW's electronic suspension. But then came along the XDiavel and I was missing not having a cruiser around to putt around on at times (like you can putt around on the Diavel). So I have recently realized that I now have an awesome sport touring steed for distance and a great and fun cruiser but I was missing the S1R. I was actually considering picking up a used one and all would be good. But then, like you, I kept following all the articles on the Z and thought why not at least ride it, after  all I am a Kawi fan. Then a friend of mine that works at the local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealership called me and told me I need to ride the Street Triple RS. That's when I decided to check out all the options for a suitable replacement for the S1R if I found something that tickled my fancy more than the S1R. Well, turns out though it is the cheapest of all the bikes I considered and lacks all the electronic gadgetry and is a few ponies down on a couple of the considerations, the Z9 just ticks all the boxes and does it so smoothly and so well.  I have no doubt I will enjoy the Z9 for a long time to come.


*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I hear ya. To give you an idea..My favorite bike of all time is my ZRX1200R. I'm on my second one having made a mistake of selling my first with 50,000 miles on it. Though heavy and slow by today's standards I just couldn't get that bike out of my system. I won't ever sell my current ZRX.
So when I heard that Kawasaki was coming out with a z900 and seeing those artist conceptions of a supercharged retro bike I was stoked. But then pictures arrived of what Kawasaki had actually built, (what we have now), I freaking hated it. It looked like the transformer bug looking z1000. Hated it.
But for some reason it started working on me. Europe had them already and slowly but surely review videos started on YouTube. I watched every single one of them. Even the non English speaking reviews. Suddenly I was hooked and it was early in the year. Dealerships didn't have them yet and knew nothing about them. I could barely wait.
A few months ago when a local dealer finally had a couple on the showroom floor I went in and bought one. All my excitement was not for nothing. I find the bike is better than I expected.
You'll find it lacking power compared to your BMW but the liter class sport bikes today are animals. (No need to discuss the H2). The z9 is not. But for where I live the z9 has all I need. I've owned faster more powerful bikes but I don't miss them.
The z9 is a great bike with a lot of potential.
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 4297
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 09:42:29 PM
I do all my own work so I'm trying to cut down on my bikes. I'll use the ZRX mainly for touring as it already is set up with a rack. My previous one I took it across the country.
 I can see me with these two for .....whenever.

Offline Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 826
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:24 AM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I went in and further sdjusted my Cold idle down a little more. Even though it was 65 degrees F when I started it it was still idling a little high. So this time I took a picture.
It is best to first watch how the mechanism works so you get a feel for what you are adjusting. (I had to anyways). You can watch it cycle by turning the ignition on then off again. Repeat.
The bike doesn't need to be running.

You can see it if you remove just the frame cover. It's the double nut with yellow paint spring thing. If you look real close on the enlarged picture you can see the original line I scored on the rod's flat surface. It moved up about 1/16 of an inch.

Anybody wanting to adjust as I have will need 10mm and 7mm IGNITION WRENCHES. A regular full size wrench won't fit.
Also, there is a flat spot on the rod. I suggest getting a sharp scratch-awl and scoring a line on the flat spot before you adjust so you can set it back to spec.
To lower idle...loosen the 7mm nut then turn the 10mm nut 'clockwise'. This lofts the rod away from the throttle linkage.

Hey thanks for that Zed9. The fast idle was driving me mad so I did your little mod and now its all good, I actually backed it right off for now so idle is normal all the time, I don't think it will be a problem when it gets cold here, but if it is I will up the revs a bit on the adjuster.

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 4297
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:06:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
Hey thanks for that Zed9. The fast idle was driving me mad so I did your little mod and now its all good, I actually backed it right off for now so idle is normal all the time, I don't think it will be a problem when it gets cold here, but if it is I will up the revs a bit on the adjuster.
The lowest temperature I started my bike was probably 40 degrees F and the bike had no problem idling. Kawasaki has set the cold idle too high at the factory.

Offline quantum

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 555
  • fine, i admit it, i'm a squid
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Navarre FL
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 08:01:53 PM
well.......i hope i didn't f**k my bike up.

i adjusted the cold idle mechanism, fired the bike up and it immediately red-lined for about a second before i could kill it. i looked at the mechanism and it somehow got wedged down and was pegging the throttle.
 :110:
i went for an hour ride afterward and everything seemed ok, but i really hope i didn't cause any long-term damage.
Youth always tries to fill the void, an old man learns to live with it.

IG: @moar_beard

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 4297
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: High Idle On Cold Start
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:16 PM
*Originally Posted by quantum [+]
well.......i hope i didn't f**k my bike up.

i adjusted the cold idle mechanism, fired the bike up and it immediately red-lined for about a second before i could kill it. i looked at the mechanism and it somehow got wedged down and was pegging the throttle.
 :110:
i went for an hour ride afterward and everything seemed ok, but i really hope i didn't cause any long-term damage.
You're fine. That's why I suggested to make a scratch mark on the flat spot of the rod. It doesn't take much. But I think you might have bumped a throttle cable and dislodged it? maybe?

How did it run on your next cold start?