Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switching from S1000R to Z900  (Read 10142 times)

Offline PacificBaiku

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Glasgow
Switching from S1000R to Z900
on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:42 AM
Hello all!
I'm in the process of selling my BMW S1000R and planning to buy a new 2018 Z900 in March. Why? Well, I'm moving to Malaysia (currently residing in Qatar, but from the UK) and unfortunately import taxes on foreign bikes are insane and, although it's breaking my heart, it just wouldn't make financial sense. Plus, I guess a Japanese bike is more sensible in that region in terms of maintenance and support.

I've spent weeks researching, trawling reviews, and watched a million comparisons between the MT09 and the Z900, which seem like the two best choices in the Malaysian market before the insane taxes kick in.

I'm going for the Z900 - love the look of it, love the riding position, appreciate the extra power. Just seems like a fantastic all round package.

So, hello!

Any tips on buying a new Z900 are welcome! I'm planning to get the SE (need that electric outlet!) - although in Malaysia it seems the SE is only available in Blue or Red, and I would rather have the black with green frame.  :027:

In the meantime here's a picture of my current bike which I'll have to let go :003:

So hello again, and look forward to posting and reading a lot more on here once I'm up and running with the new bike.

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
Re: Switching from S1000R to Z900
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:33 AM
The electrical outlet is available as an optional extra in the UK so maybe it's the same over there and the dealer can fit it to whatever bike you want.
Z1000.  I had a 900 so you'll never get rid of me. NEVER!

Offline PacificBaiku

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Marco [+]
The electrical outlet is available as an optional extra in the UK so maybe it's the same over there and the dealer can fit it to whatever bike you want.

That's good to know! Thanks. Will annoy a few dealers when I land in KL.

Offline HoonDawg

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Petaling Jaya
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:35:46 PM
Selamat datang! (Welcome to Bolehland - the land of endless possibilities!)

When do you get into Malaysia? I get home end of March.

Kawasaki has many dealers all over and is pushing hard. They are big all over and successful as well. If you need help let me know.
Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:38:42 PM by HoonDawg
More gas - rubber side down!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:16:42 PM
*Originally Posted by PacificBaiku [+]
Any tips on buying a new Z900 are welcome! I'm planning to get the SE (need that electric outlet!) - although in Malaysia it seems the SE is only available in Blue or Red, and I would rather have the black with green frame.

Firstly green frame all the way!! Second, welcome to the forum. Yes that IS the correct order lol.

Its a shame youve got to get rid of the BMW, looks like a tidy bike, but the Z is awesome! As for buying tips, haggle haggle haggle! Make sure the frame fix has been done if you get a 2017. If its an 18 model, then it doesnt need it. As for the bike itself, one recent edition to mine that I now wish Id had from the off is the optional high seat. Unless youre REALLY short, I cant recommend it enough. So much more comfortable, extra leg room and makes moving about on the bike easier as you dont have to lift yourself out of the seat so much.

Another big issue for quite a few people has been clearance for the right heel, myself included. The stock exhaust is quite bulky and with the way its positioned, youll find that your heel will rest against it. Its ok when youre riding straight up with the peg in the middle of your foot, but when you want to put your toe on the peg for cornering, youll find yourself fighting the exhaust for space. An aftermarket can will sort that out. The Akrapovic that I got with the performance pack sorted it for me, although most slip ons seem to do the trick.

Moving on, depending on what electrical extras you want to add, apparently the Z doesnt have the capacity for too many, so anything you can do to save it will help. Easiest way to gain back some juice is LED indicators and headlights. Dont forget the number plate light and side light 👍 After that, just the useual fun, adding whatever mods take your fancy 😊
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline PacificBaiku

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:34 PM
*Originally Posted by HoonDawg [+]
Selamat datang! (Welcome to Bolehland - the land of endless possibilities!)

When do you get into Malaysia? I get home end of March.

Kawasaki has many dealers all over and is pushing hard. They are big all over and successful as well. If you need help let me know.

Thank you! I'll probably be flying over first week of March just to sort out some paperwork with my company (I'm transferring from Doha to KL) but actual relocation will take place end of March or first week of April. Yes it seems Kawasaki is doing well in Malaysia and that was one of the many factors in choosing this bike.

Where are you flying back from? Do you normally live in KL? Is your Z900 in KL? One of my Malaysian friends, who is a biker, is going to take me to a dealer he knows so I'll probably buy with him, but I'll also visit a few others just to compare deals, although I'm guessing they'll all be quite similar in terms of pricing.

Offline PacificBaiku

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:32 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Firstly green frame all the way!! Second, welcome to the forum. Yes that IS the correct order lol.

Its a shame youve got to get rid of the BMW, looks like a tidy bike, but the Z is awesome! As for buying tips, haggle haggle haggle! Make sure the frame fix has been done if you get a 2017. If its an 18 model, then it doesnt need it. As for the bike itself, one recent edition to mine that I now wish Id had from the off is the optional high seat. Unless youre REALLY short, I cant recommend it enough. So much more comfortable, extra leg room and makes moving about on the bike easier as you dont have to lift yourself out of the seat so much.

Another big issue for quite a few people has been clearance for the right heel, myself included. The stock exhaust is quite bulky and with the way its positioned, youll find that your heel will rest against it. Its ok when youre riding straight up with the peg in the middle of your foot, but when you want to put your toe on the peg for cornering, youll find yourself fighting the exhaust for space. An aftermarket can will sort that out. The Akrapovic that I got with the performance pack sorted it for me, although most slip ons seem to do the trick.

Moving on, depending on what electrical extras you want to add, apparently the Z doesnt have the capacity for too many, so anything you can do to save it will help. Easiest way to gain back some juice is LED indicators and headlights. Dont forget the number plate light and side light 👍 After that, just the useual fun, adding whatever mods take your fancy 😊

Hey! Thanks for all this, really useful info. I'll be getting a 2018, but good to know about the recall.

I'm 168cm so I think the seat won't be as much of an issue for me, but I will probably get it later on anyway just to avoid a sore butt on long runs. Will wait and see for that one.

I read about the exhaust/heel issue. I'm planning to get an aftermarket can with the bike from the get go - it seems a bit too quiet stock. Is the performance pack different from the 'special edition?'. In any case, need to get that sorted from the start. Did you chop off the rest of the pipe and stick in a straight pipe too? Should save a fair bit of weight! Apart from the exhaust I'll probably keep the bike fairly stock to begin with, so that I can 'appreciate' all the mods one by one. haha.

And yes, I'm really broken up about losing the BMW. Fantastic bike. But it's probably for the best. I think it would probably be a pain in the ass to maintain in Malaysia, especially if something went wrong outside of KL, and very expensive on parts etc there.
Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:30:01 PM by PacificBaiku

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:54 PM
I read about the exhaust/heel issue. I'm planning to get an aftermarket can with the bike from the get go - it seems a bit too quiet stock. Is the performance pack different from the 'special edition?'. In any case, need to get that sorted from the start. Did you chop off the rest of the pipe and stick in a straight pipe too?

UK performance pack was the base model with the tall windscreen, tank pad, seat cowl and Akrapovic slip on. Dont know what the special edition over there includes. The Akrapovic didnt make too much difference to the sound to be honest as most of the baffling is done before the breadbox. I did manage to get the non removable baffle out of it though, which made it slightly better, but the only way to really increase the volume is to get rid of the whole stock system, or modify it to remove the cat etc.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:04 PM
I believe there are already wires under the front plastics for the power socket if you want to add one yourself. Maybe have the dealer throw one in as part of the deal. Make sure you at least get the ABS option, and of course the green frame.

That BMW is a hell of a bike according to the reviews I've seen and z900 will be down on power but wait until you get a load of the smooth engine and light clutch. The z900 is a simpler bike without a need for traction controls, so, the less to go wrong. I guess.

Good luck and happy buying.  :821:

Offline HoonDawg

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Petaling Jaya
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:49 AM
Thank you! I'll probably be flying over first week of March just to sort out some paperwork with my company (I'm transferring from Doha to KL) but actual relocation will take place end of March or first week of April. Yes it seems Kawasaki is doing well in Malaysia and that was one of the many factors in choosing this bike.

Where are you flying back from? Do you normally live in KL? Is your Z900 in KL? One of my Malaysian friends, who is a biker, is going to take me to a dealer he knows so I'll probably buy with him, but I'll also visit a few others just to compare deals, although I'm guessing they'll all be quite similar in terms of pricing.

I am Malaysian living in PJ. Yep my bikes in the shop where I normally keep it when I am away.

I am a traveller in steel on the water! Bwahahhaha... My swing ends 21 March so should be home. There is a track day at Sepang on 23 March but too late for me. Another two 22/23 April. You would have run in your Z900 before that and take it down for a squirt.

Shall send you a PM in a bit about dealers and things you can do to your Z900 before it leaves the shop.  :087: :087: :087:
More gas - rubber side down!