Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pending Suspension Upgrade  (Read 16060 times)

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Pending Suspension Upgrade
Reply #70 on: June 10, 2021, 11:32:02 AM
I think I've tracked him down...Just not 100% if same guy so will PM you the info.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: spokane
Reply #71 on: June 10, 2021, 12:21:01 PM
WOW!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Came across a few other forum discussions re the same topic after posting & seems like maybe hes either too busy or not involved like he used to be... Maybe.

I'll gladly take any info & really do appreciate the help.

Thanks

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Pennsylvania
Reply #72 on: June 11, 2021, 05:11:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Z900-WA [+]
WOW!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Came across a few other forum discussions re the same topic after posting & seems like maybe hes either too busy or not involved like he used to be... Maybe.

I'll gladly take any info & really do appreciate the help.

Thanks

A few random thoughts.

Find out which of your local motorcycle dealerships or shops, if any, race at your local tracks. I bought my bike specifically from a dealership that sponsors two track bikes because I knew that racers would be working there. I am getting my suspension redone by the place I bought my bike from. :)

Also, if you don't mind sending stuff out, depending on what you need, http://daughertymotorsports.com/ and thttps://traxxion.com/ can revalve and respring your OEM stuff.

If you just need parts to do the work yourself, that a whole different discussion that depends on the parts you want.
Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 05:12:47 AM by NineseveN

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
Reply #73 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:34 PM
Appreciate the responses

To clarify, I've sent several PM replies to some of the very helpful forum members on here re: where I'm at & what I'm trying to accomplish for my Z's suspension but altho super long I'll just copy & paste them in this post in the event anyone can help provide me w advice or feedback on  potential solution(s) I'm looking for, for my front end.

Here's what initially prompted my post-

1. Attempted PM to Forks-by-matt

Hey Matt,

Man! I should have msg'd u forever ago. Have read a lot of your posts in various threads & even tried to locate y0ur product listings a few times w no luck. I recently saw a post where u were discussing ur valving / shim stack set options and it just dawned on me to- I don't know, maybe msg u directly... Wow!  🤦‍♂️

I'll try to keep brief, but my end goal is to 1. stiffen & 2. hopefully improve the overall performance & feel from the suspension on the front end of my bike to try & match or at least keep pace w the resprung & revalved rr shock, which is being done by Jamie @ DMR. I know I must get new springs to stiffen the front, but given the lack of valving in the right fork & the nearly 4 weeks I've been waiting on my rr. shock work to be completed, I'm now thinking of taking on the left fork myself.

I work out of town a lot, usually a few wks @ a time & as a result I (thankfully at this point) I didn't have a chance to remove & send my forks in at the same time as the spare oem shock I sent in to DMR for overhaul. I wanted his custom built shock w resevoir but was quoted 8+ weeks vs the 3 wk turnaround it was supposed to take for my rr. to be upgraded & returned.

At this point I know I don't want to spend half the season not riding bc I'm waiting on suspension work, but I also know I'm gonna be swapping bikes before next season & can't justify another $1K+ just for 1 season w cartridges. Therefore, I'm currently thinking to order a set of 1.2KG springs w new oil & just service the left fork. I'm 225-230ish pre-gear, so 1.045 total spring weight seems reasonable (based on Racetech reco's) for aggressive street riding & a few track days. I was just about to order, but figured I'd seek some guidance & hopefully get pricing from you for springs & new valving etc before I complete my order.

So in summary- 1. given the spring rates avail, my weight & riding style, plus the fact that there's nothing in the right fork but a .89 spring & some oil. Would i be ok just servicing the left fork?

2. If so, do u offer new valving / shim stacks etc for the Z900 along w springs etc?

3. Assuming u do, what would the cost & timeline be for me to get a kit to do my left fork?

4. Is there anything overly complicated or involved re: servicing the left fork that isn't common to most other spsortbikes out there?
 I've watched a lot of tutorial vids & realize that there are a few specialized tools needed for the job ie a "Fork Spring Compressor Kit" & various spanners/ ratchets & sockets along w tie-down straps for compressing fork etc.

Either way, i'm planning to order stiffer springs before the weekend so I can get the front end stiffened up asap, but I'd be interested to find out what u advise re: the most cost-effective upgrades I can do to the front end quickly, without needing to send out for work. If u could provide me w a price on a new springs(s) & valving/ shim stacks, damping parts & oil for the front end etc   I'd really appreciate it.

Aside from just ordering stiffer RT springs or hopefully getting a self-install setup from u, the only other option I'm considering is contacting Maxton re: ordering a GP20 cartridge kit for the front (just based on pricing & performance results quoted by BartZ) on another thread.

Seems like a bargain for a significant upgrade I can do at home w little downtime, but I know ur a pro and would appreciate ur input/ advice to help me decide what to spend my money on to get the best ROI possible & hopefully help me avoid any unintended consequences or complications re: completing the upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Here's my most recent reply to Zed9 who was super helpful last summer when I initially came to terms w the fact that I needed to invest in upgrading my Z's suspension to keep up w my increase in pace & skill level / weight & my desire for lower lap times & improved overall safety on the street & especially for the track, since there's simply no denying the fact that I'm officially hooked & its not like there's AA for track-addicts 😉

Hey Mark,

Ya, we talked a few times last summer. U were more than helpful and I took ur advice on DMR.

I contacted Jamie via email & spoke over the phone before I sent in my rear shock. Unfort. this time of yr. (march-Sept) he's very busy & he told me it'd prob take 2 or maybe even 3 wks to complete & return my suspension once received or 8+ wks for the custom built shock I really wanted, so I sent in my spare oem shock about a month ago but haven't heard anything back yet... i sent a follow up email yesterday, I'm sure I'll hear back soon or if not I will call in to check on tomorrow.

I was gonna send all my stuff in over winter but unfort I procrastinated & due to my out of town work sched. I didn't get a chance to remove & send my forks in at the same time as the shock. So now I'm just thinking to swap the spring / upgrade the left fork myself to get me by for the summer. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the improved rr shock & $$ invested will prob end up being negated by or worse, prob just further highlight the horrible front end.

I'm 230lbs pre-gear & the front-end basically bottoms out under any moderate to heavy braking situations, especially at speed. I know valving is def important, but given the timeframe on current work so far, I'm realizing that I'd much rather be able to spend the summer riding w acceptably firm, tho not ideal front suspension than have to spend half the season not being able to ride at all.

A compromise I'm willing to live with given its my fault for procrastinating in the 1st place. Plus having done a lot more research on servicing the forks, I actually think I can handle the left legs spring & oil and prob even replacing the valving / shims stack, IF I can find a good set to go w the new spring & oil.

I really appreciate your help as well as everyone else's here on the forum. Such an awesome community! Hopefully I can talk to Jamie tomorrow and just order the parts I need from him directly. He's professional, trustworthy and probably one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry which is prob why he's so darn busy right now.

If he doesn't have a solution avail. then I'll start looking at other options like Maxton or Forks-by-matt but bt me & u, I came across a surprising amount of negative feedback re his CS & order fulfillment history over the last few yrs. on a bunch of different forums after I tried to msg him (unsuccessfully) via the forum last night. Given his numerous posts w detailed info, insights and expertise I got the impression on here that he is a very helpful & knowledgeable pro that I'd trust to do biz with, but given the large amount of negative feedback online over the last few yrs & inability to communicate w him via the Z900forum, I'm assuming he must just be overwhelmed and unable to keep up w customer demand or communication etc. So I'm def gonna contact Jamie for help w it 1st.

I'll post re my progress if & when I get it all figured out or if I need any additional assistance or advice etc.

Thanks again & feel free to provide any advice or direction re: products or DIY solutions for my front suspension. Any insights or vendor referrals would def be appreciated.

Brian

Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:18:25 PM by Z900-WA

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #74 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:54 PM
*Originally Posted by NineseveN [+]
A few random thoughts.

Find out which of your local motorcycle dealerships or shops, if any, race at your local tracks. I bought my bike specifically from a dealership that sponsors two track bikes because I knew that racers would be working there. I am getting my suspension redone by the place I bought my bike from. :)

Also, if you don't mind sending stuff out, depending on what you need, http://daughertymotorsports.com/ and thttps://traxxion.com/ can revalve and respring your OEM stuff.

If you just need parts to do the work yourself, that a whole different discussion that depends on the parts you want.
I have used Jamie Daugherty for two bikes including the z900. I doubt his services can be beat but you have to send the suspension. I sent mine to him over the winter when I couldn't ride. Mine was the first z900 Daugherty did so he is now familiar with it. Total cost for the front and rear with springs and valves was $650. I hate the cliche but yes, it transformed the Z's handling. Maybe if you're racing on track you are worthy of Ohlins or Penske at a cost of a couple grand or more but if you're just backroads bombing. DMS can't be beat.

I just finished a winter-project bike and bought damper rods and springs from Traxxion. Fantastic products.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
Reply #75 on: June 11, 2021, 12:41:26 PM
Hey Mark,

Hope u got my msg.

Appreciate the extra info. I will post my progress updates once I get it figured out.

What was the project bike? I think once before U told me u have the Z900 & a  ZX-14, I could be completely wrong tho...

Personally, I'm dead set on getting the new 22' Speed Triple, hopefully this winter. I actually Just impulse-ish bought a YZ450F myself. Not new, but very nice & clean! Gave in to pressure from a friend, which was justifiable given the fact that he helped me steal (get a ridiculously good deal on) the thing. Turns out dirt is an awful lot of fun too!! I started on a pw50 @ 5 & grew up racing Motocross, but it's been almost a decade since I've spent the majority of my weekends playing in the dirt!

Honestly, I all but forgot just how much fun I could have on 2 wheels without scraping pavement or hitting triple digit speeds! 🙌

Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:43:49 PM by Z900-WA

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #76 on: June 11, 2021, 01:12:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Z900-WA [+]
Hey Mark,

Hope u got my msg.

Appreciate the extra info. I will post my progress updates once I get it figured out.

What was the project bike? I think once before U told me u have the Z900 & a  ZX-14, I could be completely wrong tho...

Personally, I'm dead set on getting the new 22' Speed Triple, hopefully this winter. I actually Just impulse-ish bought a YZ450F myself. Not new, but very nice & clean! Gave in to pressure from a friend, which was justifiable given the fact that he helped me steal (get a ridiculously good deal on) the thing. Turns out dirt is an awful lot of fun too!! I started on a pw50 @ 5 & grew up racing Motocross, but it's been almost a decade since I've spent the majority of my weekends playing in the dirt!

Honestly, I all but forgot just how much fun I could have on 2 wheels without scraping pavement or hitting triple digit speeds! 🙌
I did get your message. I never got a zx14 though I lusted over one and nearly bought a 2012 model. I did own a ZZR1200 for a few years and that thing was crazy enough. The fastest I ever rode any bike was the ZZR1200... 165 mph (indicated) on a 55 mph two lane road   :005:. The first time I ever decided to flat out run from a State Trooper (caught over 100 in a 50mph zone) was on the ZZR1200.  :112: I am a fully grown man (with questionable maturity). I had to get rid of the thing.
Then I considered a ZH2 but was disappointed in its heavy weight (thankfully). If the ZH2 was closer in weight to the z900 it would be out in the shed right now.

The '22 Speed Triple is lighter than the z900 by a bunch with better handling and brakes. It's a monster. I can't imagine needing anything more on the street, ever.

But the funniest thing happened over the winter. A 2001 zr7S came up for sale on Craigslist. I always liked them so I bought it. That bike is an anachronism. It's a modern looking sporty bike with a 750cc air cooled motor from the 1982 GPz750. It puts out 65- maybe 70 rwhp. And I love it. I paid $1450 for it. Bought over $1300 in parts to make it mechanically as new, including the Traxxion Dynamics damper rods, valving and springs. Sometimes it's good to go back to basics. But now I have four bikes.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #77 on: June 11, 2021, 05:25:09 PM
I've learned long ago its more fun to do more with little than little with a lot.

Small, light and nimble will always be more fun IMO. I would always get into friendly arguments with my friend with his Viper while I had my FD3S about that (8285cc Vs 1308cc).
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #78 on: June 11, 2021, 05:43:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
I've learned long ago its more fun to do more with little than little with a lot.

Small, light and nimble will always be more fun IMO. I would always get into friendly arguments with my friend with his Viper while I had my FD3S about that (8285cc Vs 1308cc).
I also have a Honda Helix scooter. 250cc 16rwhp. I rip on that thing in the city.