Author Servicing intervals.  (Read 19047 times)

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    3194
    • Topic Author

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Z900
    • Town / City: Wiltshire
    Servicing intervals.
    on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.02 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.02 am
    Well the Z is now my only method of transport, so the result is that Iím clocking up the miles faster. Bought the bike late June 2017 and had the 600 mile service done around mid August. Then had the 1 year service around July last year, which coincidentally fell at the same time as I hit the 3,600 mile service interval. Well I passed 7,600 miles a few days ago, so according to the manual I need to service it again. Been having a look at the list of jobs the manual calls for and Iíve already done a lot of them myself. Going to do another oil and filter change myself and then call into Kawasaki to see how much they want for the jobs Iím less happy to do on my own.

What do you all make of the servicing intervals? It calls for yearly but then thereís mileage based intervals too. At the rate Iíll clock up the miles this year, Iíll be servicing the bike 2-3 times a year and changing the spark plugs yearly. Seems a bit excessive to me.

• Offline Frontline   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    1829

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
    • Town / City: Florida
    Re: Servicing intervals.
    Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.36 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.36 am
    *Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
    Well the Z is now my only method of transport, so the result is that Iím clocking up the miles faster. Bought the bike late June 2017 and had the 600 mile service done around mid August. Then had the 1 year service around July last year, which coincidentally fell at the same time as I hit the 3,600 mile service interval. Well I passed 7,600 miles a few days ago, so according to the manual I need to service it again. Been having a look at the list of jobs the manual calls for and Iíve already done a lot of them myself. Going to do another oil and filter change myself and then call into Kawasaki to see how much they want for the jobs Iím less happy to do on my own.

What do you all make of the servicing intervals? It calls for yearly but then thereís mileage based intervals too. At the rate Iíll clock up the miles this year, Iíll be servicing the bike 2-3 times a year and changing the spark plugs yearly. Seems a bit excessive to me.
    I've under 10K miles in the several months I've owned it (only use it on weekends for fun)  :150:

At my 7.5K, I changed oil, filter, spark plugs (NGK 3521 or CR9EIX), bleed fresh brake fluid into calipers (since thats where the heat is at), cable lubed, flushed and greased chain (and re-adjusted). Don't over think this, its all super simple and these things are stupid reliable...almost boring.

BTW: My old plugs "looked good" but my idle improved when I changed.

ps. Changed to Q3-plus at 9K

• Offline zed9   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    4615

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.39 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.39 am
    Yearly maintenance...
    Oil change every 2500 miles or so. A new filter every other change.

I change the brake fluid every two years. Once a year is NOT ridiculous as a fluid change doesn't guarantee all the muck gets out once it has started to build up so its best to get it out while it's still suspended in the fluid.
    Once the gunk has started, the only way to get it out is to disassemble the calipers and clean them. There could be gunk even though the fluid flows clean while bleeding.

I change the coolant every three years.

I'll adjust the valves when called for but not before. As the miles rack up and the engine settles in I'll stretch the interval.

I change the plugs when I adjust the valves.

• Offline Frontline   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    1829

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.52 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.52 am
    *Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
    Oil change every 2500 miles or so. A new filter every other change.
    C'mon...the filter is only $10....get over here :192:

BTW: Drives me nuts Kawi suggest oil/filter change interval is 7.5K miles. If this was dry-clutch MC...m a y b e. But no way, shape or form would I let it go that deep. 3K is max for me even though I go for the good stuff.

• Offline zed9   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    4615

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    • Bike: 2017 z900
    Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03.12 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 03.12 am
    *Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
    C'mon...the filter is only $10....get over here :192:

BTW: Drives me nuts Kawi suggest oil/filter change interval is 7.5K miles. If this was dry-clutch MC...m a y b e. But no way, shape or form would I let it go that deep. 3K is max for me even though I go for the good stuff.
    Every change is too much. You could probably get away with a new filter every 10,000 miles. I rip mine open sometimes and a quality filter with 6000 miles on it looks practically new. Quality filter is the key word here.

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    3194
    • Topic Author

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07.29 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 07.29 am
    *Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
    I've under 10K miles in the several months I've owned it (only use it on weekends for fun)  :150:

At my 7.5K, I changed oil, filter, spark plugs (NGK 3521 or CR9EIX), bleed fresh brake fluid into calipers (since thats where the heat is at), cable lubed, flushed and greased chain (and re-adjusted). Don't over think this, its all super simple and these things are stupid reliable...almost boring.

BTW: My old plugs "looked good" but my idle improved when I changed.

With regards to the plugs, now that you mention it my idle has started to occasionally bounce very slightly for the last couple of hundred miles, so perhaps new plugs are worth doing. Just seems odd to me. Bikes of old, standard plugs were good for this sort of mileage and iridium were good practicality forever. Now it wants new iridium plugs every 7,600 miles?!? Times change I guess.

Stuff like changing plugs Iím fairly confident with, plus Iíve got a mate whoís a bike mechanic who normally helps me out, so he can walk me through stuff if Iím not sure. What about things like engine vacuum synchronisation and evaporative emission control system, do you just not bother? Only ask as the manual calls for these at the 7.6k mark.

• Offline Kes   england

• Z900 Pro  ‐    475

Offline Kes

• Z900 Pro
    • Town / City: SOLIHULL
    Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10.09 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 10.09 am
    I find an odd thing with Kwaks warranty that when some of our American cousins ask what oil and filter should I use for my 600 mile service.
    Where as in the UK you have to take the bike in for a supposedly 1 hour service whilst you wait which in reality takes 20 minutes and fork out $170.  :157:

• Offline RobZ900   gb

• Z900 God  ‐    3194
    • Topic Author

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10.52 am
    Feb 03, 2019, 10.52 am
    *Originally Posted by Kes [+]
    I find an odd thing with Kwaks warranty that when some of our American cousins ask what oil and filter should I use for my 600 mile service.
    Where as in the UK you have to take the bike in for a supposedly 1 hour service whilst you wait which in reality takes 20 minutes and fork out $170.  :157:

Will be phoning the garage tomorrow to find out how much they want for the service minus the bits Iíve already done myself. Something tells me my credit card isnít going to be happy and the wife even less so!

• Offline Frontline   us

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God  ‐    1829

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
    • Z900 God
    Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.04 pm
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by Kes [+]
    That really sucks. In the US, we passed the "Magnuson Act" over 40 years ago. Actually, even in our Kawi manual it says we can do our own work without voiding the warranty (but must show proof).

It actually goes pretty deep. If someone modifies a car/bike/product and that machine fails, the entity covering warranty must cover it unless its proven the modified part was the actual cause of failure. Same is true with those "warranty void if removed" stickers as found in many electronic items. Many companies still do that but its actually illegal (per FTC) and is only there to scare public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Having said that, I will only use OEM oil filters (in all my powersport toys) and do a "maintenance" plan that is many times greater than what Kawi recommends.

• Offline Kes   england

• Z900 Pro  ‐    475

Offline Kes

• Z900 Pro
    • Town / City: SOLIHULL
    Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01.26 pm
    Feb 03, 2019, 01.26 pm
     :028: Cheers for your input Frontline.