Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why the hate for stock tires?  (Read 2212 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KellyL

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 151
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
  • Country: au
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:15 PM
No chicken strips on my D214s either. And it certainly wasn't because of riding talent  :034:

Online Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1790
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 08:37:20 PM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
No chicken strips on my D214s either. And it certainly wasn't because of riding talent  :034:
I agree same here plus the rubber on the D214s feels more like wood compared to M7RRs.
That's what my thumb nail tells me.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 802
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 12:15:34 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
No chicken strips on my D214s either. And it certainly wasn't because of riding talent  :034:

Ha yeah, you wouldn't go around bragging about having no chicken strips on the D214's would you, a heavy crosswind on a straight road would get you on the edge of those tyres.  :008:

Offline DirtGearTV

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: us
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I agree same here plus the rubber on the D214s feels more like wood compared to M7RRs.
That's what my thumb nail tells me.

Im not one that cares all to much about looks, or chicken strips, but whatever people have to tell themselves to feel important 😂 As long as they dont let go, im happy

So to reel this thing back in, it sounds like most of the complaints are weather related right? I just found this basically confirming my experience in the hot and dry...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/tires-the-original-traction-control   

Offline stuartho

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 434
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Brisbane
  • Country: au
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 01:41:00 PM
*Originally Posted by DirtGearTV [+]

So to reel this thing back in, it sounds like most of the complaints are weather related right?

I don't think its just weather related. I had the 214 rear let go or get squirrelly a few times in dry summer/spring weather. One was due to a tar snake. But I never felt confident on those tyres. And it just got worse in the wet. I think it was a combination of poor profile and inconsistent compound.

The M7RRs are a night & day difference. As Cazzy has said above, they actually feel grippy to the touch. They are confidence inspiring whereas the 214s always had me second guessing when theyd let go.


Offline TricksOfTheTrey

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 56
  • Bike: Z900 / Ninja 300
  • Town / City: Houston
  • Country: us
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 03:30:47 PM
*Originally Posted by TricksOfTheTrey [+]
Oh they are awful with anything wet at all. Even on dry smooth surfaces (my work parking garage for example) they can easily slide where other tires wouldn't. I have to go through my garage much slower and with less lean on the Z than on my Ninja.

I guess my bike heard me talking sh#t about the tires...the day after this post I went on one last ride, before the "stay at home" rules took effect in my city, and ended up with two punctures and a completely flat tire. Now I have an even better excuse to replace the tires. Can also confirm the chicken strip point, as I have never tried getting a knee down but tire ware is even all the way to the edge.

Offline DirtGearTV

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: us
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 05:13:22 PM
*Originally Posted by TricksOfTheTrey [+]
I guess my bike heard me talking sh#t about the tires...the day after this post I went on one last ride, before the "stay at home" rules took effect in my city, and ended up with two punctures and a completely flat tire. Now I have an even better excuse to replace the tires. Can also confirm the chicken strip point, as I have never tried getting a knee down but tire ware is even all the way to the edge.

Im also kinda hoping a mysterious puncture will happen and give me an excuse...

Seriously though, ive only got 1100miles and mine already squaring off 🤨

Online Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1790
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:23 PM
*Originally Posted by DirtGearTV [+]
Seriously though, ive only got 1100miles and mine already squaring off 🤨

Probably explains why you think they are okay. They are fine at going straight. 😂
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline DirtGearTV

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: us
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Probably explains why you think they are okay. They are fine at going straight. 😂

Probably

Offline DirtGearTV

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 46
  • Country: us
Re: Why the hate for stock tires?
Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 05:32:37 AM
The problem is where I live sometimes I need to travel 40 miles on a straight shot JUST to get to a road with some twisties... Hopefully this wouldnt be an issue if I end up going with a ST tire